Lasting pleasures

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2008
      I like reading poetry, listening for what poems have to say. They
      offer, it seems to me, a quiet way of access to a particular, that
      is, aesthetic, form of reality. As an individual, I find little more
      to say about the subject, whereas the question of poetry's
      relationship to society is so formidably complex that I prefer not to
      attempt any general statement. Louise

      The following two poems I offer in appreciation of what is, after
      all, an ancient art, though these were composed, by Robert Creeley,
      in recent times (early 'fifties):

      DON'T SIGN ANYTHING

      Riding the horse as was my wont,
      there was a bunch of cows in a field.

      The horse
      chased

      them. I likewise, an uneasy
      accompanist.

      To wit, the Chinese proverb goes:
      if you lie in a field

      and fall asleep,
      you will be found in a field

      asleep.

      --------------

      THE CONSPIRACY

      You send me your poems,
      I'll send you mine.

      Things tend to awaken
      even through random communication.

      Let us suddenly
      proclaim spring. And jeer

      at the others,
      all the others.

      I will send a picture too
      if you will send me one of you.

      Copied from "Poems 1950-1965", published by Marion Boyars, 1978.
      The second poem was written, I believe, for Charles Olson, early in
      their long and voluminous correspondence.