Re: [existlist] Autistic Minds

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 8, 2008
      On Apr 08, 2008, at 9:30, Joe Mele wrote:
      > Just to clarify - Autistics celebrate autistic pride day on June 18.
      > Autism
      > world day is a concept developed and supported by curbies like
      > autism speaks
      > that seek to wipe autistics from the face of the earth. Autistic
      > genocide
      > is real issue.

      I do tire of people asking if I want to be "cured" or "made whole"
      based on any physical / neurological conditions I might have. No, I
      happen to think my abilities with computer code (ComputerWorld has
      covered this aspect of autism since the early 1990s), database design,
      and pattern recognition are unique skills.

      Giving parents genetic screening tools, as is mandated in Minnesota,
      is a way to eliminate the "unfit" before they are born and become an
      expense. The new "eugenics" movement is to screen ahead, tell parents,
      "Oh, there's a 70% chance of condition x," and encourage termination.

      Minnesota now screens for more than 50 conditions. Our state is
      considering "single payer" health care, with "incentives" to reduce
      costs. In the UK, one incentive from the NHS is to pay parents to
      terminate -- in the name of the common good, of course.

      The Government, we're here to help. Assuming you are not flawed, of
      course.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.
    • Susan Schnelbach
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 11, 2008
        I don't think he meant 1 in 3 to 1 in 7 males is autistic. I believe
        he meant that for every 1 female diagnosed with as autistic there are
        3 to 7 males diagnosed.

        - Susan

      • Exist List Moderator
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 12, 2008
          On Apr 04, 2008, at 9:26, bhvwd wrote:
          > Before we start that grueling process we need know much more adout
          > all of this and such science runs its slow , particular course.

          First, as Susan correctly clarified, I meant that for every female
          diagnosed, three to seven males are, depending on the state or
          country. Part of the problem is that autism is a descriptive term: it
          might be describing any of several underlying conditions. Every region
          seems to have its own definition of what is an "autistic" personality.

          As for science...

          Indeed, science is slow and makes mistakes along the way. We test and
          retest theories. Even once established as the accepted theory,
          scientific "knowledge" can be challenged. Witness how well Newton and
          Einstein held up, but there are "flaws" in even their great works.

          It is hard to explain science to people. No few disciplines are based
          on the notion of being wrong over time. A good scientist doesn't mind
          being proved wrong, assuming he or she can develop yet another, better
          theory. This is what people don't get about science: nothing is
          certain, we just assume we are slightly closer to the truth with each
          little piece of data.

          - C. S. Wyatt
          that I shall be.
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 12, 2008
            <existlist1@...> wrote:

            > On Apr 04, 2008, at 9:26, bhvwd wrote:
            > > Before we start that grueling process we need know much more adout
            > > all of this and such science runs its slow , particular course.
            >

            > First, as Susan correctly clarified, I meant that for every female
            > diagnosed, three to seven males are, depending on the state or
            > country. Part of the problem is that autism is a descriptive term:
            it
            > might be describing any of several underlying conditions. Every
            region
            > seems to have its own definition of what is an "autistic"
            personality.

            > As for science...
            >
            > Indeed, science is slow and makes mistakes along the way. We test
            and
            > retest theories. Even once established as the accepted theory,
            > scientific "knowledge" can be challenged. Witness how well Newton
            and
            > Einstein held up, but there are "flaws" in even their great works.
            >
            > It is hard to explain science to people. No few disciplines are
            based
            > on the notion of being wrong over time. A good scientist doesn't
            mind
            > being proved wrong, assuming he or she can develop yet another,
            better
            > theory. This is what people don't get about science: nothing is
            > certain, we just assume we are slightly closer to the truth with
            each
            > little piece of data.
            > CSW, Yhank you for the clarification , the stronger numbers seemed
            very high as one in three males would be catastrophic. I now
            understsnd why you cannot reliably give a number of cases per
            hundred. What a half assed malady such that we cant even get it
            named. Most of the writers on this list show some signs or simptoms
            of autism, but I find it interesting to chase down the rabbit hole.
            Are existentialists genetically prone to autism? That is unanswerable
            but not unthinkable. It may even still be legal to think such things
            and so I do it. Bill

            > - C. S. Wyatt
            > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
            all
            > that I shall be.

          • Joe Mele
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 12, 2008
              Bill

              The world would be a better place if everyone was autistic. Autistics
              mostly have normal to above intelligence but a higher number of mentally
              retard than the general population. Autistics are not born liars.

            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 13, 2008
                In a message dated 4/12/08 11:12:07 PM, joemele@... writes:
                > The world would be a better place if everyone was autistic.

                What in the world!

                Okay, I get it. Autistic people are ... people too. However, let's not get
                maudlin about it.

                Wil

              • Exist List Moderator
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 14, 2008
                  On Apr 12, 2008, at 23:11, Joe Mele wrote:
                  > Bill
                  >
                  > The world would be a better place if everyone was autistic. Autistics
                  > mostly have normal to above intelligence but a higher number of
                  > mentally
                  > retard than the general population. Autistics are not born liars.

                  I have addressed this issue with teachers and professors who are not
                  prepared for the blunt honesty of the HFA/AS students they encounter.
                  The instructors think the students are being sarcastic or lying, based
                  on tone, when these students cannot generally lie without either a
                  terrible "give" or physical discomfort.

                  People are uncomfortable with the truth.

                  - C. S. Wyatt
                  that I shall be.