Re: Existentialism Makes The "A" List

  • jimstuart51
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
      Thanks, Mary.

      I like your summary: "Existentialism seems an "alpha" approach, always
      beginning, starting anew, one which encourages personal analysis and
      engagement."

      This suggests to me that the existentialist has a flexibility of
      approach and is always ready to take on board new ideas, and set out
      on new ventures. He/she is not weighed down by the past.

      I am not so sure there is such a thing as a "normal" existentialist.
      We are all different.

      Jim
    • mary.jo11
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
        absence of absolutes
        absence of objective reality
        absence of constraint
        absurdism
        accountability
        activism
        adaptation
        agnosticism
        alienation
        alterity
        ambiguity
        ambivalence
        angst
        anxiety
        assimilation*
        atheism
        authenticity
        awareness

        I've included assimilation. Anyone else?
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
          Atomic--- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...>
          wrote:

          > absence of absolutes
          > absence of objective reality
          > absence of constraint
          > absurdism
          > accountability
          > activism
          > adaptation
          > agnosticism
          > alienation
          > alterity
          > ambiguity
          > ambivalence
          > angst
          > anxiety
          > assimilation*
          > atheism
          > authenticity
          > awareness
          >
          > I've included assimilation. Anyone else?
          >Atomic, Ours is the first philosophy written within the atomic age.
          The fluidity of mind necessary to delve into atomic theory needed the
          freedom the early existentialists allowed. The great schism from
          Newton could only be accomplished by minds of a new order . They
          understood Newton but could think differently from him. Eienstein is
          one of the new thinkers as Newton was the flowering of the
          enlightinment. Existentialism is the first atomic philosophy. Bill
        • mary.jo11
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
            I'll see that and raise you an aesthetics :)

            Mary

            <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:

            >Atomic, Ours is the first philosophy written within the atomic age.
            The fluidity of mind necessary to delve into atomic theory needed the
            freedom the early existentialists allowed. The great schism from
            Newton could only be accomplished by minds of a new order . They
            understood Newton but could think differently from him. Eienstein is
            one of the new thinkers as Newton was the flowering of the
            enlightinment. Existentialism is the first atomic philosophy. Bill

            absence of absolutes
            absence of objective reality
            absence of constraint
            absurdism
            accountability
            activism
            adaptation
            aesthetics*
            agnosticism
            alienation
            alterity
            ambiguity
            ambivalence
            angst
            anxiety
            assimilation
            atheism
            atomic*
            authenticity
            awareness
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2008
              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:
              >Artistic
              > I'll see that and raise you an aesthetics :)
              >
              > Mary
              >
              > <v.valleywestdental@> wrote:
              >
              > >Atomic, Ours is the first philosophy written within the atomic
              age.
              > The fluidity of mind necessary to delve into atomic theory needed
              the
              > freedom the early existentialists allowed. The great schism from
              > Newton could only be accomplished by minds of a new order . They
              > understood Newton but could think differently from him. Eienstein
              is
              > one of the new thinkers as Newton was the flowering of the
              > enlightinment. Existentialism is the first atomic philosophy. Bill
              >
              > The modernism that flowed from existential concepts was and is
              manifest in modern art, especially cubism. It will be cherished for
              centuries.Bill
              > absence of absolutes
              > absence of objective reality
              > absence of constraint
              > absurdism
              > accountability
              > activism
              > adaptation
              > aesthetics*
              > agnosticism
              > alienation
              > alterity
              > ambiguity
              > ambivalence
              > angst
              > anxiety
              > assimilation
              > atheism
              > atomic*
              > authenticity
              > awareness

            • mary.jo11
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2008
                And let us not forget Alberto Giacometti, friend and confident of
                Sartre, Beauvoir, and Beckett. His stark sculptures have often been
                described as expressions of existential anguish. Mary