Re: Existentialism Makes The "A" List

  • jimstuart51
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
      What does "absence of actuality" mean?

      Jim

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

      > absence of absolutes
      > absence of actuality
      > absence of constraint
      > absurdism
      > accountability
      > activism
      > adaptation
      > agnosticism
      > alienation
      > alterity
      > ambiguity
      > ambivalence
      > angst
      > anxiety
      > atheism
      > authenticity
      > awareness
      >
      > Existentialism seems an "alpha" approach, always beginning, starting
      > anew, one which encourages personal analysis and engagement. What is a
      > "normal" existentialist?
      >
      > Mary

    • mary.jo11
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
        <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

        > What does "absence of actuality" mean?

        Sorry, Jim. That's was vague, wasn't it? I could have capitalized it
        to perhaps indicate a proven objective reality. I was stuck in
        minimalist mode. We seem to have our subjective individual
        actualities, including use of the dictionary :)

        Mary
      • jimstuart51
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
          Thanks, Mary.

          I like your summary: "Existentialism seems an "alpha" approach, always
          beginning, starting anew, one which encourages personal analysis and
          engagement."

          This suggests to me that the existentialist has a flexibility of
          approach and is always ready to take on board new ideas, and set out
          on new ventures. He/she is not weighed down by the past.

          I am not so sure there is such a thing as a "normal" existentialist.
          We are all different.

          Jim
        • mary.jo11
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
            absence of absolutes
            absence of objective reality
            absence of constraint
            absurdism
            accountability
            activism
            adaptation
            agnosticism
            alienation
            alterity
            ambiguity
            ambivalence
            angst
            anxiety
            assimilation*
            atheism
            authenticity
            awareness

            I've included assimilation. Anyone else?
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
              Atomic--- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...>
              wrote:

              > absence of absolutes
              > absence of objective reality
              > absence of constraint
              > absurdism
              > accountability
              > activism
              > adaptation
              > agnosticism
              > alienation
              > alterity
              > ambiguity
              > ambivalence
              > angst
              > anxiety
              > assimilation*
              > atheism
              > authenticity
              > awareness
              >
              > I've included assimilation. Anyone else?
              >Atomic, Ours is the first philosophy written within the atomic age.
              The fluidity of mind necessary to delve into atomic theory needed the
              freedom the early existentialists allowed. The great schism from
              Newton could only be accomplished by minds of a new order . They
              understood Newton but could think differently from him. Eienstein is
              one of the new thinkers as Newton was the flowering of the
              enlightinment. Existentialism is the first atomic philosophy. Bill
            • mary.jo11
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
                I'll see that and raise you an aesthetics :)

                Mary

                <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:

                >Atomic, Ours is the first philosophy written within the atomic age.
                The fluidity of mind necessary to delve into atomic theory needed the
                freedom the early existentialists allowed. The great schism from
                Newton could only be accomplished by minds of a new order . They
                understood Newton but could think differently from him. Eienstein is
                one of the new thinkers as Newton was the flowering of the
                enlightinment. Existentialism is the first atomic philosophy. Bill

                absence of absolutes
                absence of objective reality
                absence of constraint
                absurdism
                accountability
                activism
                adaptation
                aesthetics*
                agnosticism
                alienation
                alterity
                ambiguity
                ambivalence
                angst
                anxiety
                assimilation
                atheism
                atomic*
                authenticity
                awareness
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2008
                  --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:
                  >Artistic
                  > I'll see that and raise you an aesthetics :)
                  >
                  > Mary
                  >
                  > <v.valleywestdental@> wrote:
                  >
                  > >Atomic, Ours is the first philosophy written within the atomic
                  age.
                  > The fluidity of mind necessary to delve into atomic theory needed
                  the
                  > freedom the early existentialists allowed. The great schism from
                  > Newton could only be accomplished by minds of a new order . They
                  > understood Newton but could think differently from him. Eienstein
                  is
                  > one of the new thinkers as Newton was the flowering of the
                  > enlightinment. Existentialism is the first atomic philosophy. Bill
                  >
                  > The modernism that flowed from existential concepts was and is
                  manifest in modern art, especially cubism. It will be cherished for
                  centuries.Bill
                  > absence of absolutes
                  > absence of objective reality
                  > absence of constraint
                  > absurdism
                  > accountability
                  > activism
                  > adaptation
                  > aesthetics*
                  > agnosticism
                  > alienation
                  > alterity
                  > ambiguity
                  > ambivalence
                  > angst
                  > anxiety
                  > assimilation
                  > atheism
                  > atomic*
                  > authenticity
                  > awareness

                • mary.jo11
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2008
                    And let us not forget Alberto Giacometti, friend and confident of
                    Sartre, Beauvoir, and Beckett. His stark sculptures have often been
                    described as expressions of existential anguish. Mary