Existentialism Makes The "A" List

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4 6:53 AM
      absence of absolutes
      absence of actuality
      absence of constraint
      absurdism
      accountability
      activism
      adaptation
      agnosticism
      alienation
      alterity
      ambiguity
      ambivalence
      angst
      anxiety
      atheism
      authenticity
      awareness

      Existentialism seems an "alpha" approach, always beginning, starting
      anew, one which encourages personal analysis and engagement. What is a
      "normal" existentialist?

      Mary
    • jimstuart51
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4 8:56 AM
        What does "absence of actuality" mean?

        Jim

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

        > absence of absolutes
        > absence of actuality
        > absence of constraint
        > absurdism
        > accountability
        > activism
        > adaptation
        > agnosticism
        > alienation
        > alterity
        > ambiguity
        > ambivalence
        > angst
        > anxiety
        > atheism
        > authenticity
        > awareness
        >
        > Existentialism seems an "alpha" approach, always beginning, starting
        > anew, one which encourages personal analysis and engagement. What is a
        > "normal" existentialist?
        >
        > Mary

      • mary.jo11
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4 9:43 AM
          <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

          > What does "absence of actuality" mean?

          Sorry, Jim. That's was vague, wasn't it? I could have capitalized it
          to perhaps indicate a proven objective reality. I was stuck in
          minimalist mode. We seem to have our subjective individual
          actualities, including use of the dictionary :)

          Mary
        • jimstuart51
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4 10:11 AM
            Thanks, Mary.

            I like your summary: "Existentialism seems an "alpha" approach, always
            beginning, starting anew, one which encourages personal analysis and
            engagement."

            This suggests to me that the existentialist has a flexibility of
            approach and is always ready to take on board new ideas, and set out
            on new ventures. He/she is not weighed down by the past.

            I am not so sure there is such a thing as a "normal" existentialist.
            We are all different.

            Jim
          • mary.jo11
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4 11:50 AM
              absence of absolutes
              absence of objective reality
              absence of constraint
              absurdism
              accountability
              activism
              adaptation
              agnosticism
              alienation
              alterity
              ambiguity
              ambivalence
              angst
              anxiety
              assimilation*
              atheism
              authenticity
              awareness

              I've included assimilation. Anyone else?
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4 2:09 PM
                Atomic--- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...>
                wrote:

                > absence of absolutes
                > absence of objective reality
                > absence of constraint
                > absurdism
                > accountability
                > activism
                > adaptation
                > agnosticism
                > alienation
                > alterity
                > ambiguity
                > ambivalence
                > angst
                > anxiety
                > assimilation*
                > atheism
                > authenticity
                > awareness
                >
                > I've included assimilation. Anyone else?
                >Atomic, Ours is the first philosophy written within the atomic age.
                The fluidity of mind necessary to delve into atomic theory needed the
                freedom the early existentialists allowed. The great schism from
                Newton could only be accomplished by minds of a new order . They
                understood Newton but could think differently from him. Eienstein is
                one of the new thinkers as Newton was the flowering of the
                enlightinment. Existentialism is the first atomic philosophy. Bill
              • mary.jo11
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4 3:52 PM
                  I'll see that and raise you an aesthetics :)

                  Mary

                  <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:

                  >Atomic, Ours is the first philosophy written within the atomic age.
                  The fluidity of mind necessary to delve into atomic theory needed the
                  freedom the early existentialists allowed. The great schism from
                  Newton could only be accomplished by minds of a new order . They
                  understood Newton but could think differently from him. Eienstein is
                  one of the new thinkers as Newton was the flowering of the
                  enlightinment. Existentialism is the first atomic philosophy. Bill

                  absence of absolutes
                  absence of objective reality
                  absence of constraint
                  absurdism
                  accountability
                  activism
                  adaptation
                  aesthetics*
                  agnosticism
                  alienation
                  alterity
                  ambiguity
                  ambivalence
                  angst
                  anxiety
                  assimilation
                  atheism
                  atomic*
                  authenticity
                  awareness
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5 9:46 AM
                    --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:
                    >Artistic
                    > I'll see that and raise you an aesthetics :)
                    >
                    > Mary
                    >
                    > <v.valleywestdental@> wrote:
                    >
                    > >Atomic, Ours is the first philosophy written within the atomic
                    age.
                    > The fluidity of mind necessary to delve into atomic theory needed
                    the
                    > freedom the early existentialists allowed. The great schism from
                    > Newton could only be accomplished by minds of a new order . They
                    > understood Newton but could think differently from him. Eienstein
                    is
                    > one of the new thinkers as Newton was the flowering of the
                    > enlightinment. Existentialism is the first atomic philosophy. Bill
                    >
                    > The modernism that flowed from existential concepts was and is
                    manifest in modern art, especially cubism. It will be cherished for
                    centuries.Bill
                    > absence of absolutes
                    > absence of objective reality
                    > absence of constraint
                    > absurdism
                    > accountability
                    > activism
                    > adaptation
                    > aesthetics*
                    > agnosticism
                    > alienation
                    > alterity
                    > ambiguity
                    > ambivalence
                    > angst
                    > anxiety
                    > assimilation
                    > atheism
                    > atomic*
                    > authenticity
                    > awareness

                  • mary.jo11
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5 10:25 AM
                      And let us not forget Alberto Giacometti, friend and confident of
                      Sartre, Beauvoir, and Beckett. His stark sculptures have often been
                      described as expressions of existential anguish. Mary