Re: Autistic Minds

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 3, 2008
      Thank you, C.S. We are each differently abled. There is no evidence
      that we can all experience the world from one perspective. Best
      wishes, Mary
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3, 2008
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

        > Thank you, C.S. We are each differently abled. There is no evidence
        > that we can all experience the world from one perspective. Best
        > wishes, Mary
        >Do we as yet know the numbers on autism?How many per 500 live births?
        I am beginning to have some very disturbing thoughts about the malady
        but the numbers become most important in planning any response to the
        phenominon. Is it equally spread over ethnic groups, races, religions
        and geographic areas? Are there socio economic groups who experience
        higher numbers?
        I think CSW probably knows where I am headed with this and He may
        chastise me for even thinking autism is a genetic response to general
        overcrowding of the human species. If I go back to basics "Survival
        of the fittest" stands out as a dismal sign on the genetic highway of
        all species. I think many genes will be found to be involved but that
        is a guess. Treatments for multi factored disease are usually complex
        and expensive. The "fittest" will eventually have much to say about
        expenditure of scarce resources to those who produce little or nothing.
        I am beginning to think of autism as genetic Jahaad and the prospects
        seem glum for huge expenditure if the problem is viewed as a price
        we pay for our overpopulation. I put this out and think CSW will bat
        it down with good knowledge of the more precise situation. I`m
        throwing him a big meat ball and I hope he hits it out of the park. Bill
      • Aija Veldre Beldavs
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 3, 2008
          mary.jo11 wrote:
          > Thank you, C.S. We are each differently abled. There is no evidence
          > that we can all experience the world from one perspective. Best
          > wishes, Mary

          also from me thanks.
          my epistemology draws both from the empathic and rational, but my
          greatest respect goes out to people close to me who draw more from one
          or the other and have had to struggle to find ways to appreciate the
          other. such engagement is a good part of authenticity.

          aija
        • Exist List Moderator
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 3, 2008
            On Apr 03, 2008, at 9:49, bhvwd wrote:
            > I am beginning to have some very disturbing thoughts about the malady
            > but the numbers become most important in planning any response to the
            > phenominon. Is it equally spread over ethnic groups, races, religions
            > and geographic areas? Are there socio economic groups who experience
            > higher numbers?

            While we know ASDs are diagnosed at a much higher rate in males (1:3
            to 1:7), there is not a clear ethnic bias. Rumors to the contrary,
            autism does exist in groups that do not get vaccines, do not live in
            cities, do not eat commercial crops, etc. (There was a "journalist"
            who reported there was no autism among the Amish -- he didn't bother
            to find out they don't get medical diagnoses and don't file for social
            services. Once a study was done, we also found seizure disorders,
            retardation, and everything else that afflicts humans.)

            The "rich" and those best educated are most likely to have children
            diagnosed with autism. Again, this goes to the availability of
            resources and not an actual increase in incidence.

            The "autism epidemic" is about awareness, most likely. In Minnesota, I
            have charted the increase in "autism" against a marked decrease in
            "retardation" and the charts are precisely related. As autism
            diagnoses increased, retardation declined. It's all about words....
            which is very in tune with phenomenology and words leading to
            experiences.

            > I think CSW probably knows where I am headed with this and He may
            > chastise me for even thinking autism is a genetic response to general
            > overcrowding of the human species.

            If anything, I wonder about the risks implicit in a group that is just
            two or three steps removed from sociopathy. Thankfully, autism leads
            to a "black and white" morality, and no one knows why. Instead of "I
            can do anything, since you don't exist," the autistic mind seems to
            insist upon rigid adherence to rules and order. These rules are not
            the same as laws, so our move is to make ASD students understand there
            are illogical rules they must follow. Okay... this isn't much better
            if we look at what fascism would do with perfect law-abiding
            individuals. "I was just following the law" is not much better than
            sociopathy in some cases.

            Trying to teach social awareness to ASD students has led to a number
            of books on the topic. There is a scale we use, too. The teaching
            includes "A '5' is illegal." You end up hoping the ASD student
            memorizes enough rules to stay out of trouble. Their B&W morality
            would be a good thing, if it didn't lead to legal conflicts.

            - C. S. Wyatt
            that I shall be.
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2008
              <existlist1@...> wrote:

> [...]
              better
              > if we look at what fascism would do with perfect law-abiding
              > individuals. "I was just following the law" is not much better
              than
              > sociopathy in some cases.
              >
              > Trying to teach social awareness to ASD students has led to a
              number
              > of books on the topic. There is a scale we use, too. The teaching
              > includes "A '5' is illegal." You end up hoping the ASD student
              > memorizes enough rules to stay out of trouble. Their B&W morality
              > would be a good thing, if it didn't lead to legal conflicts.
              >
              > - C. S. Wyatt
              > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
              all
              > that I shall be.
              >CSW, Those numbers are staggering, if one in three males are
              affected we are looking at a world shattering event. A wounded
              soldied is considered much more valuable to an adversarys victory
              than a clean KIA. If you are talking about a 1/3 walking wounded
              rate the casualties will bring us down.
              Since your most affective reply I have looked at some other theories
              about the pathogenisis of the syndrome. Some are looking for some
              trigger mechanisms that set off a predisposing genetic proclivity.
              Much like carcinogenic agents in malignant disease ,a chemical agent,
              virus, bacterium or prion might turn on a genetic sequence bringing
              on the symptoms of the disorder. Very little has been found.
              it seems we must try to identify the specific genes involved.
              Developing a test, especially in utero, leads to moral and
              political debates.
              Before we start that grueling process we need know much more adout
              all of this and such science runs its slow , particular course. As in
              the case of homosexuality it has taken half a century to field a
              research group given authority to even study the situation. If your
              numbers hold true the dissociation of the present population will
              force a quicker, more fully funded research effort.
              Those like yourself seem most potent in slowing the progress of
              a "us' and "them mentality that solves nothing. Bill
            • Joe Mele
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 8, 2008
                Just to clarify - Autistics celebrate autistic pride day on June 18. Autism
                world day is a concept developed and supported by curbies like autism speaks
                that seek to wipe autistics from the face of the earth. Autistic genocide
                is real issue.

                "Nothing about us without us!"
                theasman.blogspot.com

                On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:54 PM, mary.jo11 <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

                > Since it's World Autism Day, I'm wondering about these unique minds
                > which are challenging science and impacting families/communities. How
                > does the concept of philosophical phenomenology apply? I can't even
                > imagine all the ethical implications as this highly "afflicted"
                > generation comes of age. Hopefully our own C.S. Wyatt will share his
                > doctoral thesis when appropriate.
                >
                > Mary

              • Exist List Moderator
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 8, 2008
                  On Apr 08, 2008, at 9:30, Joe Mele wrote:
                  > Just to clarify - Autistics celebrate autistic pride day on June 18.
                  > Autism
                  > world day is a concept developed and supported by curbies like
                  > autism speaks
                  > that seek to wipe autistics from the face of the earth. Autistic
                  > genocide
                  > is real issue.

                  I do tire of people asking if I want to be "cured" or "made whole"
                  based on any physical / neurological conditions I might have. No, I
                  happen to think my abilities with computer code (ComputerWorld has
                  covered this aspect of autism since the early 1990s), database design,
                  and pattern recognition are unique skills.

                  Giving parents genetic screening tools, as is mandated in Minnesota,
                  is a way to eliminate the "unfit" before they are born and become an
                  expense. The new "eugenics" movement is to screen ahead, tell parents,
                  "Oh, there's a 70% chance of condition x," and encourage termination.

                  Minnesota now screens for more than 50 conditions. Our state is
                  considering "single payer" health care, with "incentives" to reduce
                  costs. In the UK, one incentive from the NHS is to pay parents to
                  terminate -- in the name of the common good, of course.

                  The Government, we're here to help. Assuming you are not flawed, of
                  course.

                  - C. S. Wyatt
                  that I shall be.
                • Susan Schnelbach
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 11, 2008
                    I don't think he meant 1 in 3 to 1 in 7 males is autistic. I believe
                    he meant that for every 1 female diagnosed with as autistic there are
                    3 to 7 males diagnosed.

                    - Susan

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 12, 2008
                      On Apr 04, 2008, at 9:26, bhvwd wrote:
                      > Before we start that grueling process we need know much more adout
                      > all of this and such science runs its slow , particular course.

                      First, as Susan correctly clarified, I meant that for every female
                      diagnosed, three to seven males are, depending on the state or
                      country. Part of the problem is that autism is a descriptive term: it
                      might be describing any of several underlying conditions. Every region
                      seems to have its own definition of what is an "autistic" personality.

                      As for science...

                      Indeed, science is slow and makes mistakes along the way. We test and
                      retest theories. Even once established as the accepted theory,
                      scientific "knowledge" can be challenged. Witness how well Newton and
                      Einstein held up, but there are "flaws" in even their great works.

                      It is hard to explain science to people. No few disciplines are based
                      on the notion of being wrong over time. A good scientist doesn't mind
                      being proved wrong, assuming he or she can develop yet another, better
                      theory. This is what people don't get about science: nothing is
                      certain, we just assume we are slightly closer to the truth with each
                      little piece of data.

                      - C. S. Wyatt
                      that I shall be.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 12, 2008
                        <existlist1@...> wrote:

                        > On Apr 04, 2008, at 9:26, bhvwd wrote:
                        > > Before we start that grueling process we need know much more adout
                        > > all of this and such science runs its slow , particular course.
                        >

                        > First, as Susan correctly clarified, I meant that for every female
                        > diagnosed, three to seven males are, depending on the state or
                        > country. Part of the problem is that autism is a descriptive term:
                        it
                        > might be describing any of several underlying conditions. Every
                        region
                        > seems to have its own definition of what is an "autistic"
                        personality.

                        > As for science...
                        >
                        > Indeed, science is slow and makes mistakes along the way. We test
                        and
                        > retest theories. Even once established as the accepted theory,
                        > scientific "knowledge" can be challenged. Witness how well Newton
                        and
                        > Einstein held up, but there are "flaws" in even their great works.
                        >
                        > It is hard to explain science to people. No few disciplines are
                        based
                        > on the notion of being wrong over time. A good scientist doesn't
                        mind
                        > being proved wrong, assuming he or she can develop yet another,
                        better
                        > theory. This is what people don't get about science: nothing is
                        > certain, we just assume we are slightly closer to the truth with
                        each
                        > little piece of data.
                        > CSW, Yhank you for the clarification , the stronger numbers seemed
                        very high as one in three males would be catastrophic. I now
                        understsnd why you cannot reliably give a number of cases per
                        hundred. What a half assed malady such that we cant even get it
                        named. Most of the writers on this list show some signs or simptoms
                        of autism, but I find it interesting to chase down the rabbit hole.
                        Are existentialists genetically prone to autism? That is unanswerable
                        but not unthinkable. It may even still be legal to think such things
                        and so I do it. Bill

                        > - C. S. Wyatt
                        > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
                        all
                        > that I shall be.

                      • Joe Mele
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 12, 2008
                          Bill

                          The world would be a better place if everyone was autistic. Autistics
                          mostly have normal to above intelligence but a higher number of mentally
                          retard than the general population. Autistics are not born liars.

                        • eupraxis@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 13, 2008
                            In a message dated 4/12/08 11:12:07 PM, joemele@... writes:
                            > The world would be a better place if everyone was autistic.

                            What in the world!

                            Okay, I get it. Autistic people are ... people too. However, let's not get
                            maudlin about it.

                            Wil

                          • Exist List Moderator
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 14, 2008
                              On Apr 12, 2008, at 23:11, Joe Mele wrote:
                              > Bill
                              >
                              > The world would be a better place if everyone was autistic. Autistics
                              > mostly have normal to above intelligence but a higher number of
                              > mentally
                              > retard than the general population. Autistics are not born liars.

                              I have addressed this issue with teachers and professors who are not
                              prepared for the blunt honesty of the HFA/AS students they encounter.
                              The instructors think the students are being sarcastic or lying, based
                              on tone, when these students cannot generally lie without either a
                              terrible "give" or physical discomfort.

                              People are uncomfortable with the truth.

                              - C. S. Wyatt
                              that I shall be.