Re: Into The Wild Mind

    Message 1 of 54 , Apr 2, 2008
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

      > "bhvwd" <v.valleywestdental@> wrote:
      >
      > "Into the wild" , a film about cutting away from all
      > other people. The protagaginist starves to death alone in the
      arctic.
      > He found out that living alone was just not worth the effort of
      > fighting for life. Living was too big a pain in the ass so he
      > experienced lonelyness and then fear and then died.
      >
      > Bill,
      >
      > It's an excellent story and expresses many existential themes such
      as
      > alienation and absurdity. McCandless traded the pain of human
      > relationships, with their shaky solidarity and complicity in the
      > world's problems, for that of solitude in the beautiful but
      > indifferent wilderness. All along his journey, and ultimately, he
      > confronted the compromise between the need for individual freedom
      and
      > camaraderie. The wild farmer and the counterculture couple
      exemplified
      > this best, as they seemed the most aware of their choices.
      >
      > There are so many different ways to think and live. This discussion
      > group is a wonderful example, even if some have the need to prove
      > their perspective is right or true. If I compare McCandless' choice
      > with that of Sartre and Beauvoir, the idea of commitment wildly
      > asserts itself. Neither is correct after all, because there are
      always
      > unforeseen dangers and the high probability that someone, at some
      > point, will change their mind and be incapable of reversing
      mistakes.
      > Sartre and Beauvoir had nearly 50 years longer to engage with the
      world.

      > I understand both choices.
      >
      > Mary
      >i THOUGHT YOU WOULD LIKE THAT ONE AS i KNOW YOU HAVE GONE TO THE
      WILD PLACES TO SEEK---WHATEVER? I have gone out many times and have
      had danger I did not expect and quiet revelations that remain
      generally formless. Fighting back from great defecits seems to
      instill a calmness that supresses the panic reaction in stressful
      situations. It makes you a trained troop rather than a tenderfoot.
      Those exciting times have left me with a perspective of smallness, we
      just do not count for much in face of the many mighty forces around
      us. Our species seems much more adept at destruction in the name of
      any supposed good that seems handy. In the end it is just an exercise
      in rudeness, destruction and murder. In that I try to avoid the many
      manic types rushing around for their nefarious purposes. I can
      call back some of the aloneness when I can garnish a few moments of
      silence. It will not be troublesome for me to fade away, I am
      already there in the peaceful part of my mind. I seldom add to the
      havoc about me and feel guilt if I do. I openly demand order and
      quiet about me and will leave the scene if it is not present. I am
      becoming old, steaming fodder but at least I no longer have a gun in
      my hand. It seems meet and just to become older. Bill
      Message 54 of 54 , Apr 2, 2008