Re: Re: Re: Doe: Doe

  • Knott
    Message 1 of 54 , Apr 1, 2008
      > However, if his illusions derive from
      > meteors, eggs or chickens -- or from
      > anything whatsoever that has a clear
      > place within the world

      See, this is my problem....How do you know? It seems you either refuse
      to have a broader imagination of possibility or that you can't or that
      there is some factoid that you are not letting me share.

      How do you know it isn't a hallucination? In my experience with dream
      where generally you don't know you are in a dream, I'd think you
      wouldn't know it was a hallucination either -- so long as it was a
      significant one.

      Ethan Doof
      Message 54 of 54 , Apr 2, 2008
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

        > "bhvwd" <v.valleywestdental@> wrote:
        >
        > "Into the wild" , a film about cutting away from all
        > other people. The protagaginist starves to death alone in the
        arctic.
        > He found out that living alone was just not worth the effort of
        > fighting for life. Living was too big a pain in the ass so he
        > experienced lonelyness and then fear and then died.
        >
        > Bill,
        >
        > It's an excellent story and expresses many existential themes such
        as
        > alienation and absurdity. McCandless traded the pain of human
        > relationships, with their shaky solidarity and complicity in the
        > world's problems, for that of solitude in the beautiful but
        > indifferent wilderness. All along his journey, and ultimately, he
        > confronted the compromise between the need for individual freedom
        and
        > camaraderie. The wild farmer and the counterculture couple
        exemplified
        > this best, as they seemed the most aware of their choices.
        >
        > There are so many different ways to think and live. This discussion
        > group is a wonderful example, even if some have the need to prove
        > their perspective is right or true. If I compare McCandless' choice
        > with that of Sartre and Beauvoir, the idea of commitment wildly
        > asserts itself. Neither is correct after all, because there are
        always
        > unforeseen dangers and the high probability that someone, at some
        > point, will change their mind and be incapable of reversing
        mistakes.
        > Sartre and Beauvoir had nearly 50 years longer to engage with the
        world.

        > I understand both choices.
        >
        > Mary
        >i THOUGHT YOU WOULD LIKE THAT ONE AS i KNOW YOU HAVE GONE TO THE
        WILD PLACES TO SEEK---WHATEVER? I have gone out many times and have
        had danger I did not expect and quiet revelations that remain
        generally formless. Fighting back from great defecits seems to
        instill a calmness that supresses the panic reaction in stressful
        situations. It makes you a trained troop rather than a tenderfoot.
        Those exciting times have left me with a perspective of smallness, we
        just do not count for much in face of the many mighty forces around
        us. Our species seems much more adept at destruction in the name of
        any supposed good that seems handy. In the end it is just an exercise
        in rudeness, destruction and murder. In that I try to avoid the many
        manic types rushing around for their nefarious purposes. I can
        call back some of the aloneness when I can garnish a few moments of
        silence. It will not be troublesome for me to fade away, I am
        already there in the peaceful part of my mind. I seldom add to the
        havoc about me and feel guilt if I do. I openly demand order and
        quiet about me and will leave the scene if it is not present. I am
        becoming old, steaming fodder but at least I no longer have a gun in
        my hand. It seems meet and just to become older. Bill