Re: Faith and Flirts

  • jimstuart51
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2008
      Wil,

      Thanks for the correction and the extra information.

      I'll aim to get around to a careful comparison between Heidegger and
      Sartre on this distinction before too long.

      In retrospect I should have stuck with the term "bad faith" in
      developing my argument against Knott's position.

      Jim

      > In a message dated 3/30/08 4:37:55 AM, jjimstuart1@... writes:
      > > Have I misunderstood Heidegger and/or Sartre here?
      > >
      > Jim,
      >
      > Yes, Sartre and Heidegger have different issues in mind. The
      Sartrean bad
      > faith is, to be very brief and simple, not too unlike "being a
      phony" or "living
      > a lie", etc., which he then goes on to use as an analogy for one's
      > contradictory consciousness or self-deception. I recommend the
      chapter on Bad Faith from
      > Sartre's Being and Nothingness, as it is a classic text as well
      as a clever
      > piece. In any case, one can make the point (and it has been made)
      that Sartre
      > is critiquing Bourgeois values.
      >
      > Heidegger's "authenticity" (or "inauthenticity) is a very different
      matter,
      > as you know. It deals with ontology and onticality, resembling many
      Paulist