Re: Faith and Proof

  • jimstuart51
    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 30, 2008
      Mary,

      You write:

      "We have to make choices, not necessarily commitments. As we change,
      our choice might change. Freedom to do so can be terrifying.
      Authenticity is admitting who you are, what you want and not fooling
      anyone about it. It is not sticking for the sake of sticking."

      Yes, you make a good point. Perhaps I am being over influenced by
      Kierkegaard who emphasizes the virtues of making life-long
      commitments.

      You also write:

      "Commitment concerns itself with ethics and morality, not ontology,
      epistemology, and phenomenology, but it is the cart, not the horse."

      I'll have to think about this. Again, under the influence of
      Kierkegaard, I'm tempted to say that ethics and morality should be
      the horse, and ontology, epistemology and phenomenology should be the
      cart.

      Jim
      Message 54 of 54 , Apr 2, 2008
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

        > "bhvwd" <v.valleywestdental@> wrote:
        >
        > "Into the wild" , a film about cutting away from all
        > other people. The protagaginist starves to death alone in the
        arctic.
        > He found out that living alone was just not worth the effort of
        > fighting for life. Living was too big a pain in the ass so he
        > experienced lonelyness and then fear and then died.
        >
        > Bill,
        >
        > It's an excellent story and expresses many existential themes such
        as
        > alienation and absurdity. McCandless traded the pain of human
        > relationships, with their shaky solidarity and complicity in the
        > world's problems, for that of solitude in the beautiful but
        > indifferent wilderness. All along his journey, and ultimately, he
        > confronted the compromise between the need for individual freedom
        and
        > camaraderie. The wild farmer and the counterculture couple
        exemplified
        > this best, as they seemed the most aware of their choices.
        >
        > There are so many different ways to think and live. This discussion
        > group is a wonderful example, even if some have the need to prove
        > their perspective is right or true. If I compare McCandless' choice
        > with that of Sartre and Beauvoir, the idea of commitment wildly
        > asserts itself. Neither is correct after all, because there are
        always
        > unforeseen dangers and the high probability that someone, at some
        > point, will change their mind and be incapable of reversing
        mistakes.
        > Sartre and Beauvoir had nearly 50 years longer to engage with the
        world.

        > I understand both choices.
        >
        > Mary
        >i THOUGHT YOU WOULD LIKE THAT ONE AS i KNOW YOU HAVE GONE TO THE
        WILD PLACES TO SEEK---WHATEVER? I have gone out many times and have
        had danger I did not expect and quiet revelations that remain
        generally formless. Fighting back from great defecits seems to
        instill a calmness that supresses the panic reaction in stressful
        situations. It makes you a trained troop rather than a tenderfoot.
        Those exciting times have left me with a perspective of smallness, we
        just do not count for much in face of the many mighty forces around
        us. Our species seems much more adept at destruction in the name of
        any supposed good that seems handy. In the end it is just an exercise
        in rudeness, destruction and murder. In that I try to avoid the many
        manic types rushing around for their nefarious purposes. I can
        call back some of the aloneness when I can garnish a few moments of
        silence. It will not be troublesome for me to fade away, I am
        already there in the peaceful part of my mind. I seldom add to the
        havoc about me and feel guilt if I do. I openly demand order and
        quiet about me and will leave the scene if it is not present. I am
        becoming old, steaming fodder but at least I no longer have a gun in
        my hand. It seems meet and just to become older. Bill