Re: existence precedes essence versus genes/biology

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2008
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "dasein512" <gghumanistic@...>
      wrote:

      > How does existentialism handle the limits of genes/biology - doesn't
      > there have to be come kind of essence before one can exist? Meaning
      > where does genes and biology, the environment play in
      existentialism?
      > Gerald
      > Existentialism and science approach the cosmos from very
      differing perspectives. Science works to establish facts and build a
      solid knowledge base. At it`s base is a system of observation ,
      hypothesis and expermentation.
      Existentialism, as a philosophy, is much younger but in its roots
      retains the logic of the greeks and romans. Thus, science and
      existentialism are logical and rational systems that attempt to
      answer basic questions about man in the cosmos.
      They have not progressed evenly and leap frog each other with one
      allowing progress in the other to clear the way for enlightenment of
      the human condition. I think of existentialism as being a force that
      allows science the freedom to function without the negative influence
      of despotic metaphysics in the form of doctrine.
      Some in this group think existentialism is a dead end philosophy
      that is being supplanted by post modernism. Most seem to still
      respect the products of science even though they do not understand
      most of the basic material.
      Personally I could finish my life as a scientist if the mad theists
      and deconstructionists would not intervene in the scientific process.
      As we see with stem cell research and stupid political correctness
      some philosophical bullwork is still necessary to protect the
      progress of science. Thus existentialism shares the rational
      history of science and protects the philosophical flank of human
      progress. I personally see nothing in existentialism that is
      contradicted by science and the exploration of genetics, biology and
      environmental science needs be protected from the inquisitions of
      non existential systems. Bill