Re: Meaning... was Existential Comm

  • jimstuart51
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 18, 2008
      CSW,

      What you are requiring of your students sounds really good. I whole-
      heartedly agree with you that "philosophy needs to be grounded", and
      there is no better way of grounding it that working alongside the poor,
      the homeless and the non-materialistic.

      The reason I challenged your original post (43892) is that you seemed
      to be saying that the struggle for self-improvement through the
      appropriating of existentialist ideas was a waste of time. ("I have a
      problem with the "quest" for authenticity") I probably misinterpreted
      what you were trying to say.

      I agree that Jaspers' message to "Live!" is important, but, as you say,
      it is a message for those who have already spent time reading
      philosophy and have wrestled with themselves and the mismatch between
      high ideals and actual reality.

      Jim