Re: Relevance of NDEs to Existentialism

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 3, 2008
      Although uncomfortable with notions of orthodoxy, I accept this one.
      The other is nothingness, since it also binds and liberates
      existential thought. Legal definitions of when life begins and ends
      are less relevant to the existentialist than personal situation. Mary

      eupraxis@... wrote:

      To the end, Sartre was a committed atheist.
    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 5, 2008
        On Mar 02, 2008, at 14:13, eupraxis@... wrote:

        > I haven't looked at CS's lexicon, and I will leave aside any remarks
        > that
        > interpret Hegel as an otherworldly theorist for now (no, thank me
        > later).

        Not my lexicon, in general. It is a recovery of The New Dictionary of
        Existentialism, a text from the late 1960s. I have expanded some
        entries and continue to do so with quotes directly from the thinkers
        profiled so as to avoid any notion that the definitions are mine or
        any other "expert's" because it is always best to let the author
        define his or her own terms.

        I also note that the same terms were often used in different ways, to
        different ends, by the authors.

        Also... I never read anywhere that someone suggested Sartre renounced
        atheism. That was a curious mention on the list that I skimmed. Wil is
        definitely correct on this matter, based on the contacts I have had
        with historians and biographers. I cannot imagine Sartre as anything
        other than an atheist... just as I can't imagine him ever humble. I
        would cite "Adieux" as my primary source for Sartre's finals days.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 5, 2008
          <existlist1@...> wrote:

          > On Mar 02, 2008, at 14:13, eupraxis@... wrote:
          >
          > > I haven't looked at CS's lexicon, and I will leave aside any
          remarks
          > > that
          > > interpret Hegel as an otherworldly theorist for now (no, thank
          me
          > > later).
          >

          > Not my lexicon, in general. It is a recovery of The New Dictionary
          of
          > Existentialism, a text from the late 1960s. I have expanded some
          > entries and continue to do so with quotes directly from the
          thinkers
          > profiled so as to avoid any notion that the definitions are mine
          or
          > any other "expert's" because it is always best to let the author
          > define his or her own terms.
          >
          > I also note that the same terms were often used in different ways,
          > different ends, by the authors.
          >
          > Also... I never read anywhere that someone suggested Sartre
          renounced
          > atheism. That was a curious mention on the list that I skimmed. Wil
          is
          > definitely correct on this matter, based on the contacts I have
          had
          > with historians and biographers. I cannot imagine Sartre as
          anything
          > other than an atheist... just as I can't imagine him ever humble.
          > would cite "Adieux" as my primary source for Sartre's finals days.
          >
          > - C. S. Wyatt
          > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
          all
          > that I shall be.
          >I would go througe the ancient broyhers of the north. In a cold
          year they appear and youn have seen what you as yet do not recognise.
          Will they keep you ? This place has its merits if you can fite ice,
          Bill