Re: Michael Clayton

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2008
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

      > A couple comments. The film seems more about choice and the quality of
      > a survivor's life. Arthur Edens very carefully considered the risks
      > for himself and others, then acted. The significance or impact of his
      > acts outweighed his own survival, because he cared more about others'
      > lives and the future, than money. He had to decide, within an obvious
      > ethical vacuum, what "good" and "right" meant to him. Freedom and
      > responsibility are existential tools. How they're understood and
      > utilized is rarely agreed upon, but there's little doubt that
      > individuals can sometimes affect enormous change. Each of the main
      > characters in Michael Clayton demonstrate this power tool. And as our
      > new member, Jonny Appleseed, suggests, we're all the "bad" guys. How
      > we live with that is our choice.
      >
      > Mary
      >Thank you Mary, I think you understanding of the film is most
      existential. I particularly agree with the concept of an ethical void.
      Crooked lawyer seems a contradiction in terms but every cop is a
      criminal as they suck up human freedom and substitute law for
      judgement.
      The people in this film were high level participants in a system that
      streatches people and the rules to excess. I know many who are
      splattered by their ambition as the blood and guts of those they have
      butchered spreads about them.
      Rome, in the time of Calligula was little different. The ethical void
      forces reformation, even revolution. In the mean time people make it
      up for themselves . They usually err hugely on their side.
      We are coming to a watershead time, a fork in the road. All the quiet
      joes will have their opinion up on the wall and all the cops and
      lawyers are on trial. Bill