Michael Clayton

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2008
      A couple comments. The film seems more about choice and the quality of
      a survivor's life. Arthur Edens very carefully considered the risks
      for himself and others, then acted. The significance or impact of his
      acts outweighed his own survival, because he cared more about others'
      lives and the future, than money. He had to decide, within an obvious
      ethical vacuum, what "good" and "right" meant to him. Freedom and
      responsibility are existential tools. How they're understood and
      utilized is rarely agreed upon, but there's little doubt that
      individuals can sometimes affect enormous change. Each of the main
      characters in Michael Clayton demonstrate this power tool. And as our
      new member, Jonny Appleseed, suggests, we're all the "bad" guys. How
      we live with that is our choice.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2008
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

        > A couple comments. The film seems more about choice and the quality of
        > a survivor's life. Arthur Edens very carefully considered the risks
        > for himself and others, then acted. The significance or impact of his
        > acts outweighed his own survival, because he cared more about others'
        > lives and the future, than money. He had to decide, within an obvious
        > ethical vacuum, what "good" and "right" meant to him. Freedom and
        > responsibility are existential tools. How they're understood and
        > utilized is rarely agreed upon, but there's little doubt that
        > individuals can sometimes affect enormous change. Each of the main
        > characters in Michael Clayton demonstrate this power tool. And as our
        > new member, Jonny Appleseed, suggests, we're all the "bad" guys. How
        > we live with that is our choice.
        >
        > Mary
        >Thank you Mary, I think you understanding of the film is most
        existential. I particularly agree with the concept of an ethical void.
        Crooked lawyer seems a contradiction in terms but every cop is a
        criminal as they suck up human freedom and substitute law for
        judgement.
        The people in this film were high level participants in a system that
        streatches people and the rules to excess. I know many who are
        splattered by their ambition as the blood and guts of those they have
        butchered spreads about them.
        Rome, in the time of Calligula was little different. The ethical void
        forces reformation, even revolution. In the mean time people make it
        up for themselves . They usually err hugely on their side.
        We are coming to a watershead time, a fork in the road. All the quiet
        joes will have their opinion up on the wall and all the cops and
        lawyers are on trial. Bill