Re: Agent provocateur

  • Jonny Appleseed
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008
      So I probably missed the beginning of the thread on this one but I just joined up so thems the breaks. I was having trouble understanding where the talk was going. Initially I wanted to respond to Mary's mention of the human tendency to worship the unknown and then her remark doubting the validity of existentialism's role surrounding the issues she espoused. I have always thought of existentialism as that which worships what we actually do know. Scant though it is, those subjective realities and their real appreciation seem to be the things that would protect us against...what was it...alien invasion.

      Anyway all this talk about the bad rich people and their bad ways gets a little tired when a little salt is added. Compare our plight and the poor gen x-er to the plight of those living 60 or 70 years ago. The burgeoning of the middle class and our bourgeois aesthetic has resulted in increased life expectancy, education, nutrition, global perspective...you name it...oil slicks, the decimation of the worlds forests and species... the point was though that we are all contributing. Its not just Scroogey Mcmiserley sitting on his pile of cash. Its the very idea that we have some sort of right to the pursuit of happiness. It is on the shoulders of the major sad that we live out our happy days, all of us.