Re: [existlist] Re: Heiddger, Buckley and authenticity

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 27, 2008
      Louise,

      Louise: "Wil, I am aware of four volumes in the series."

      Response: Yes, you are correct. My numeric pad is a blur. Four it is.

      ---------
      Louise: "It occurs to me that Nietzsche has probably been the single greatest
      influence on my own life and thinking."

      Response: I would have to say the same.

      -----------

      Louise: "Your usual seriousness and care seem to desert you when faced by
      these interpretations of a mode of thinking alien to practical-minded people."

      Response: Not understanding you here. But I was being somewhat cavalier.
      -----------

      Louise: "Anyway, I remain an apprentice, and merely register a protest
      against your, in my opinion, rather meaningless dismissal. No doubt you have your,
      unstated, reasons, but opinion and argument are not enough, in face of the kind
      of thinking advanced by Nietzsche."

      Response: Well, that would explain it. I was being dismissive of Heidegger's
      Nietzsche, not Nietzsche.

      ----------------
      Louise: "Atheism is not an easy word to define, nor a concept I would readily
      associate with Heidegger."

      Response: Not to mention "crypto-religious"! Heidegger disallows the personal
      God of Christian Onto-theology. So, in the strictest sense, he would be an
      atheist. But his philosophy is nonetheless religious, while never being openly
      so, except where he exclaims, "only a God can save us ":

      "Philosophy will not be able to effect an immediate transformation of the
      present condition of the world. That is not only true of philosophy but of all
      merely human thought and endeavor. Only a god can save us. The sole possibility
      that is left for us is to prepare a sort of readiness, through thinking and
      poetizing, for the appearance of the god or for the absence of the god in the
      time of foundering; for in the face of the god who is absent, we founder."
      Heidegger, Der Spiegel interview.
      -------------
      Louise: There is something rather surreal about asking us to imagine the
      Trinity without two of its persons, though you seem to be suggesting that the
      somehow isolated third person then restores relationship to the other two for the
      one who seeks. Could this just be one way of describing what may ordinarily
      happen for the orthodox believer?

      Response: Yes, that is my, as it were, poetic interpretation, but with
      textual support. God is traditionally associated with Being; the Son with parousia
      (which signifies presence as Dasein from the Greek). The apprehension of
      holiness is through the Spirit only; that is the existential revelation of the truth
      of Being and parousia, Father and Son.

      Wil