Re: Truth, the Asthmatic

  • Knott
    Message 1 of 67 , Feb 27, 2008
      > It is interesting that you should suggest that in my recent posts I
      > am being irrational and lacking objectivity.

      4. Define truth

      y. With truth defined see if the definition also applies to gawd

      If not 'y', then. You can't rant against religions when you believe in
      truth, which by definition is a religion (e.g., from dictionary as a
      moderator of sorts:
      Belief: 1. something believed; an opinion or conviction
      Religion: 3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of
      beliefs and practices) (1.b.7.k)

      And if we take this a step further, lets look at a dictionary def of
      'truth':
      1. the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
      2. conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
      3. a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the
      like: mathematical truths.
      4. the state or character of being true.
      5. actuality or actual existence.
      6. an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
      7. honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
      8. (often initial capital letter) ideal or fundamental reality apart
      from and transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
      9. agreement with a standard or original.
      10. accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
      11. Archaic. fidelity or constancy.

      Yikes. look at 5. I don't believe in 5. 1. what is one? From whose
      perspective? 3 people at a murder all see different things. What were
      the 'right' events? 10. bwahhh! Accuracy? I am not sure that math is
      correct...what is 'accurate'? When are you positive you are not
      hallucinating? I can discount number (see comment on math) as well as
      each definition in this list.

      So, Mr. flip-it-back-to-the-caller, I have to say it is logically
      inconsistent for me from my perspective in this mind set and logical
      canyon to look at someone who say they are seeking the 'truth' and not
      digest it as a logical fallacy, impossibility, necromancy, and
      balderdash.

      (1.b.7.k) If I were to not believe I believed in something at all --
      that is I was able to mesh what I consider logic with reality -- then
      indeed I would be being a bit of a meathead to say that you were
      anything, as of course I have no proof. I am not talking about you,
      per se, but my perception of you -- which is all I can logically have,
      as there is no 'true' you. But firmly from my position of logic and
      definition I believe you -- if you exist and really believe the
      things you say (and that is a leap right there) -- are being irrational.

      However, if you also feel that because I am an extreme skeptic that I
      am not allowed to have opinions and conclusions (even if they make
      sense within my model), then it is, perhaps either a shortcoming in
      your perception of my model, or nitwittatankatomfoolery (a word I just
      made up for my own purposes and which like truth will remain undefined
      for my convenience, as 'truth' will likely remain undefined for
      yours). You can have your sense, Alice, but it is nonsense.

      Peppered Guidance
    • Knott
      Message 67 of 67 , Feb 27, 2008