On grounds for agreement

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2008
      In his post #43602 Jim has made out a succinct case for the notion of
      absolute truth, that is, for its coherence and usefulness. By rational
      method reliant upon such notion, evidence provided by sense data and
      memory enable us to establish facts with some degree of certainty. So
      I would argue that truth is absolute so long as it confines itself to
      the pertinent domain of the question at issue, whether matter of
      everyday fact-world, or philosophical abstraction, or theology based on
      assumption of faith in those engaged in discussion. Kierkegaard's
      pseudonym Johannes Climacus, in claiming that truth is subjectivity,
      refers, I believe, to the latter two types of question. Whether or not
      there is a telephone on the table where I type is not a subjective
      matter, unless in a poetic sense, when the Muse might lead me to see
      not a telephone, but a sleeping cat, its tail curled close. Or
      whatever. Louise