not easily answered

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2008
      The First Year of Everything

      That was the year we stopped speaking code—
      loss-leader, price point, upside potential, shareholder value—
      and started saying what we meant: Give us your gold.
      If you can't guard your own, you never deserved it anyway.
      That was the year we grew our business, we swelled.

      And that was the year we started keeping gloves
      in the glovebox. Or started again, like in the old days,
      which we don't remember but still long for: when the name
      of something meant something, when people knew
      the value of a word and truth was an actionable solution.

      That was the year we dialogued and gelled, we up-sold
      and closed, we grandfathered things in and also quarterbacked.
      Sometimes we architected. One day, we watched a film
      about the past where an iron bridge rocked and waved,
      then snapped into the water, and they called the water Sound.

      Which really made us consider our skill sets. We took me time
      and also a time-out. At the end of the day, the long and the short of
      it is:
      you're on your own. So we locked in our rates. We prequalified.
      That was the year we rewrote our holy books in bullet points.
      We clad our church houses in aluminum and gilded the doorways.

      Then that was the year of endless springtime, everything bottle green
      and tarp blue, edged lawns, fresh beauty bark and blacktops.
      Nights, the moon glowed like television, the birds cawed static.
      Our priority-one babies slept inside their cribs as we hurtled home
      in aspirational silver sedans, faster than the dark and the weak.

      by Jonas Lerman
      Poetry Daily
      (posted by Mary)