Re: Minute narratives

  • wot53_2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
      Louise, what was the context of Anne Sexton's poem?

      Do you see the poem as a faith statement? Like ultimate rescue?
      Or is it just a poem of struggle for life and meaning.
      I'll research her more.

      Warren

      *********************

      One of the volumes I've come away with

    • eduard at home
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
        eduard ---
        The context is obviously that Anne Sexton is trying to keep her
        neurons happy by rationalizing things. We all do that, although sometimes
        we don't have a yellow daisy to give to the crazy woman in the next bed.

        Louise, what was the context of Anne Sexton's poem?

        Do you see the poem as a faith statement? Like ultimate rescue?
        Or is it just a poem of struggle for life and meaning.
        I'll research her more.

        Warren

        *********************

        One of the volumes I've come away with
        > and am currently reading is Lewis Wolpert's "Malignant Sadness: The
        > Anatomy of Depression". In a chapter dealing with suicide he
        quotes
        > this poem by Anne Sexton, which I think well worth reproducing
        here,
        > without further comment:
        >

        > The Sickness Unto Death
        >
        > God went out of me
        > as if the sea dried up like sandpaper,
        > as if the sun became a latrine.
        > God went out of my fingers.
        > They became stone.
        > My body became a side of mutton
        > and despair roamed the slaughterhouse.
        >
        > Someone brought me oranges in my despair
        > but I could not eat one
        > for God was in that orange.
        > I could not touch what did not belong to me.
        > The priest came,
        > he said God was even in Hitler.
        > I did not believe him
        > for if God were in Hitler
        > then God would be in me.
        > I did not hear the bird sounds.
        > They had left.
        > I did not see the speechless clouds,
        > I saw only the little white dish of my faith
        > breaking in the crater.
        > I kept saying:
        > I've got to have something to hold on to.
        > People gave me Bibles, crucifixes,
        > a yellow daisy,
        > but I could not touch them,
        > I who was a house of bowel movement,
        > I who was a defaced altar,
        > I who wanted to crawl toward God
        > could not move nor eat bread.
        > So I ate myself,
        > bite by bite,
        > and the tears washed me,
        > wave after cowardly wave,
        > swallowing canker after canker
        > and Jesus stood over me looking down
        > and He laughed to find me gone,
        > and put his mouth to mine
        > and gave me His air.
        >
        > My kindred, my brother, I said
        > and gave the yellow daisy
        > to the crazy woman in the next bed.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • mary.jo11
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
          And of course, there were those times when she wasn't. For instance
          when she molested one of her daughters or when she killed herself. We
          can hypothesize that dark energy exerted a negative pressure until she
          collapsed under the weight of both happy and sad neurons.

          Mary

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
            eduard ---
            Yes. Sometimes we can't find a way to keep our neurons happy, so a
            person decides to end it all. Most unfortunate. Too many people take life
            too seriously.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
              Warren, I think for me it is a poem of ultimate bewilderment, and
              accordingly provides some reassurance, that the questions raised by
              living are not easily answered by everyone. Really, this ought to be
              obvious, so my quoting Anne Sexton's work without comment like that
              probably only signified my own state of depression at the time.
              Lewis Wolpert explains in his book that he views this mental
              condition as "sadness out of control", and that "sadness is to
              depression what normal growth is to cancer". Hence the volume's
              title. Louise