Re: Am I my brain?--"The Brain" speaks

  • Larry Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2008
      When I was in high school lots of my peers derogatorily called me "The Brain." :-) It really did happen, but I also thought a little levity on this matter might be apropos.

      I personally strongly believe there's a huge difference between the brain and the mind. And the self falls into the context of the mind. I'm an atheist but that doesn't mean I think there's only one kind of reality or one way to validly interpret identity. There's nothing about the brain that is the self, but the brain is the crucial tool of the mind for expression. The brain and the mind both empower and disempower each other but the brain's completely physical and the mind's completely mental.

      Larry

    • eduard at home
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2008
        eduard ---
        The brain is composed of neurons and glia cells. What is the "mind"
        composed of. If one has a thought about the self, where does this thought
        take place. Does it occur in your head or perhaps on the tip of your
        fingers or other remote place??

        When I was in high school lots of my peers derogatorily called me "The
        Brain." :-) It really did happen, but I also thought a little levity on
        this matter might be apropos.

        I personally strongly believe there's a huge difference between the brain
        and the mind. And the self falls into the context of the mind. I'm an
        atheist but that doesn't mean I think there's only one kind of reality or
        one way to validly interpret identity. There's nothing about the brain that
        is the self, but the brain is the crucial tool of the mind for expression.
        The brain and the mind both empower and disempower each other but the
        brain's completely physical and the mind's completely mental.

        Larry

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • mary.jo11
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2008
          At the end of each day, when I look back down the slippery slope, I
          can only conclude it was my own mind that pushed my body up that hill.
          In the morning I'll probably decide to do it again.

          It's not "what is a mind?" that matters but "whose mind?" There are
          few I trust to know what's good for me.