RE: [existlist] Take five

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2008
      Probably right. One often wonders why Kerouac with his huge writing
      skills didn't take on a job as a journalist or any job for that matter.
      It's apparent that he just didn't want to join the mainstream and preferred
      the beatness of wandering across the country with particular friends who
      wanted the same.

      But then that applies to any individual who might be identified with
      a small segment of society. Even the later flower children of the 60s made
      no real difference in the general flow of the times finally dimming in
      significance as members thought better of finding stability and security in
      their old age. The difference may well be that Kerouac and his buddies are
      closer to us in time as to have some meaning in a myth of what we may have
      lost and anyway he was a damn good writer. As soon as the snow melts I will
      be on the road again myself and it will have the opportunity to visit his
      grave in Lowell.