RE: [existlist] Re: god exists //// The Convenience Factor :)

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 2, 2008
      eduard ---
      "From an Existentialist point of view [can I say that?], what we strive
      for is a complete understanding of the moment. To have the answer to
      every question about our position, role, meaning, etc.. I think that is
      the reason and motivation for exploration of outer space. We have to
      pull back the curtain of mystery, so we can know who we are. Which in
      itself is interesting, since it was God who pulled the curtain in the
      first place."

      Wil ---
      Response: That is a nice, rationalistically sounding point of view, but
      it becomes confusing with your last line. Are you actually a believer,
      or are you not? You seem to vacillate on the issue. Am I wrong? I ask
      this not just to provoke you, but also because you seem to attach so
      much value to ephemeral moments where the notion of god pops up, as if
      these were in some way proofs for either god or 'faith'. [end]

      eduard ---
      Sorry. I tend to pull Biblical stuff out of nowhere. I think it is
      in Genesis or perhaps Job where it says God drew the curtains of the heavens
      like a tent.

      No I don't believe in God. I just have a large interest in
      religion.
    • eduard at home
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 8, 2008
        eduard:
        > The role of the brain is to seek after answers. Why is
        > there thunder?? Ancient peoples came to the conclusion that it is
        > some god hammering on an anvil.

        aija ---
        guess when the hammer and anvil part was thought up? metal smithing and
        with it the metal ages and for that matter warrior societies start up,
        when? - isn't it as early as 6000 B.C. like in the highlands of ancient
        Iran and spreading throughout the Middle East, Egypt, the Caucasus etc.
        smithing gods, as far as i know - all male, become powerful as well.:)

        smithing adds another model of creation via technology, this time
        exclusively male. in the earlier technologies of clay pottery and
        weaving the earliest creators often seem to be female. in the Baltic in
        one of the numerous alternative traditions a smith-god hammers out a
        gold sun. it is known along with the dominant creation models, which
        seem to be parthenogenetic/ from the mother, most obviously with the
        water bird hatching the cosmic egg, but the weaving goddesses are also
        creators.

        enjoy pic of Norwegian smith: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_(metalwork)

        but not all smithing gods throughout the world are also thunder gods,
        though there are thunder gods all over the world making noise in
        different ways. there are native American thunder-birds and even some
        thunder goddesses (Yoruba). the Baltic Thunder god's daughters seem to
        deal with rain not thunder while sons are thunderers).

        in any case, at some point, within these traditions some people
        recognized myths to be more art and poetry than science.:) science
        paradigms tends to get replaced and it is updated continuously more than
        art, which tends to recycle or reinvent itself.

        eduard ---
        My point was simply to show that the brain strives for an answer.
        And if it cannot find an immediate answer, it will invent one. Which I
        believe is the origin of religion.

        Yes, not all noises are attributed to gods, but some gods are
        invented to give explanation for noise. Just as gods are invented to
        explain how that big fiery ball manages to get across the sky during the
        day.

        It is often said that gods are supernatural. I would suggest that
        none of them are supernatural. They are all inventions based upon very
        natural experience. God himself is in large part a reflection of ourselves
        and of our fathers. Well ... perhaps I should revise that to say ... within
        the Semitic religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. In the Indian
        Gita the point is made that Krishna cannot be described or even seen.

        Yahoo! Groups Links