RE: [existlist] God and Gender [..isms], huh?

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1 5:13 PM
      eduard ---
      You miss the point of my comment entirely. But then I was trying to
      be subtle.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2 1:50 PM
        Frank,

        You write:

        "Oh, males will have hard, fast and furious opinions about everything
        else. Politics, The futures market; the weather, but they know which
        side their toast is buttered on when it comes to gender
        intergender/intragender confrontation and discussion. Lets be honest,
        females will confront/discuss anything/everything, because they have
        spent the past 50 years clearing a path for themselves. Their
        speakers and writers made sure of it. Males keep to the safe-side of
        issues; females recognize no such safe-side of issues. Just as if
        while vigorously defending myself against being hit by my girlfriend
        (even in an obvious public setting) -- and I were to accidentally
        bump her, causing a
        bruise, I am indicted for abuse. note: The exact same circumstances
        in reverse--nothing happens to the female. If you have a boy he will
        have a lot of explaining to do--even when he is absolutely innocent;
        if you have a girl, you will defend her situation--legitimate or not.
        Because you'd better."

        I have some sympathy with what you write, but if we are strictly
        objective then we have to admit that men/boys are physically stronger
        (statistically) than women/girls.

        Also approximately 90% of murders are committed by men, over 90% of
        sex offenders are men and around 90% of child sex abuse is carried
        out by men.

        Most murder victims are men, but most victims of sexual offences are
        women.

        So perhaps in the sort of case you mention, men have it hard and
        women have it easy, but overall it is men who are usually
        dysfunctional, and women who are usually the ones to suffer.

        Jim
      • Aija Veldre Beldavs
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2 6:34 PM
          jimstuart51 wrote:
          > Frank,
          > You write:
          > in reverse--nothing happens to the female. If you have a boy he will
          > have a lot of explaining to do--even when he is absolutely innocent;
          > if you have a girl, you will defend her situation--legitimate or not.

          > I have some sympathy with what you write, but if we are strictly
          > objective then we have to admit that men/boys are physically stronger
          > (statistically) than women/girls. [...]
          > So perhaps in the sort of case you mention, men have it hard and
          > women have it easy, but overall it is men who are usually
          > dysfunctional, and women who are usually the ones to suffer.>
          > Jim

          even in strongly patriarchal societies role tends to precede gender when
          occasionally a female assumes responsibility of actual public power
          usually to fill a slot for which suitable men are not more readily
          available, recent example being B. Bhutto.

          during the period the 1st female post-Soviet country president, V.V.
          Freibergs was in power for 2 terms, i saw little evidence that she was
          predominantly criticized on Latvian language portals more in a
          sex-specific way than for her actual policies.

          traditional vernacular Latvian society - somewhat at odds with (in that
          area) late-coming, universal, and more patriarchal Christian influence -
          has generally been characterized as relatively gender egalitarian in
          such as inheritance or kinship lineage, while including matrilocal(where
          the wife not the incoming husband owns the homestead) or neolocal
          options within a preferred patrilocal residence pattern. this is not to
          say that males and females don't predominantly (but not exclusively)
          assume gender-typical roles associated with statistical strength
          differences (men ploughing heavy soil, but women also doing heavy
          agricultural work and even ploughing in emergencies when men are absent,
          men felling trees but women also participating in the heavy physical
          labor of swiden/ slash and burn cultivation in an ecology where
          primitive agriculture reaches its limits). it is to say that relatively
          egalitarian societies can be readily more flexible depending on
          priorities, survival not infrequently dictating the need to fit a slot
          role to be more important than gender (an example of maximizing
          resources, which hunter-gatherer populations also recognized).

          aija
        • eduard at home
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2 7:18 PM
            jimstuart51 wrote:
            > Frank,
            > You write:
            > in reverse--nothing happens to the female. If you have a boy he will
            > have a lot of explaining to do--even when he is absolutely innocent;
            > if you have a girl, you will defend her situation--legitimate or not.

            > I have some sympathy with what you write, but if we are strictly
            > objective then we have to admit that men/boys are physically stronger
            > (statistically) than women/girls. [...]
            > So perhaps in the sort of case you mention, men have it hard and
            > women have it easy, but overall it is men who are usually
            > dysfunctional, and women who are usually the ones to suffer.>
            > Jim

            aija ---
[...]

            It is always possible to find some woman in history who has taken on
            a male role or function. Or to take on the role when the male is not
            available ... like when the knights went off on a crusade.

            However, I think that in at least earlier societies, there were
            defined roles for men and women that applied to the average and
            non-emergency condition.

            Women were more grounded than men and thus took on tasks that were
            home related or in hunter-gatherer societies, that of the gatherer. And I
            think that in large part because women are more grounded, they have had a
            greater role than men in spiritual side of society ... at least until men
            took it over as a specialization. Of course, that is shear opinion and
            although books have been written about the possibility of women initiating
            religion, the idea may be unfounded. The only thing that I point to is what
            I see as a greater commitment by women to family.
          • Albert
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3 2:03 AM
              Jim,

              Men are for now the stronger ones, and yes, usually the aggressor. They are programmed to be so.
              However, the world is changing, and for the worse. On a bio-chemical level, men are literally becoming women and this will result in women becoming the aggressor.

              No justifiable purpose can be felt in feeling sorry for the so-called "victims" in the context of sex alone, because all the ladies and gentlemen have left the stage in this our present generation of "people". I will refrain from describing exactly what we have been left with for 'fear' of offending the children and politically correct.

              Albert.
              - I am inclined to side with Frank somewhat here...

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4 9:50 AM
                eduard at home:

                > However, I think that in at least earlier societies, there were
                > defined roles for men and women that applied to the average and
                > non-emergency condition.
                >
                > Women were more grounded than men and thus took on tasks that were
                > home related or in hunter-gatherer societies, that of the gatherer. And I
                > think that in large part because women are more grounded, they have had a
                > greater role than men in spiritual side of society ... at least until men
                > took it over as a specialization. Of course, that is shear opinion and
                > although books have been written about the possibility of women initiating
                > religion, the idea may be unfounded. The only thing that I point to is what
                > I see as a greater commitment by women to family.

                in modern times Mary Baker Eddy "initiated" Christian Science.:)
                the religion does have a secular slant.:)

                but your response might be used to illustrate the limits to normalizing
                and standardizing to universal voices from the normative classics of
                western cultures without hearing those voices that lack resources,
                motivation or surplus energy to jump through the hoops to make it to the
                top academic big language publication lists.:)

                i deal with this a lot, being interested in minor underrepresented
                languages and cultures. much written on them in the major languages is
                pretty crudely off target and misinformed. usually, though, the
                information these areas provide when it does not fit predominant
                thinking is just ignored, rather than investigated, even if it contains
                information that is very relevant to issues of current concern. the
                language barrier is quite strong. gender issues are one example.

                some remarks (sorry this relates to posts a few days ago rather than
                now) and obviously i can't respond here with a scholarly book - these
                are generalizations based on much more study:

                all long-term societies recognize gender, but what gender roles are
                played differ quite a bit and the simpler, less differentiated
                subsistence societies exhibit more variation as each adapts to different
                conditions to maximize critical resources.

                strong patriarchy laid its groundwork to increasingly become the
                dominant form of social organization, but almost surely not strongly
                developed with hunting-gatherering cultures, which as subsistence
                cultures have some of the most egalitarian or meritocratic examples.
                northern hunting peoples venerate the female bear, seal, and egg-laying
                water bird as cosmic mothers and strong female models. fishing was not
                exclusively a male job in many such societies; it becomes such with
                deep sea fishing and, as with many other types of work, with
                specialization. in southern climates, female cats, such as lionesses
                and panthers, provide a similar strong female models. but there is also
                the model of herd animals with a male protecting his harem or a shepherd
                his flock. nevertheless, early pastoralists also have their "warrior
                women" (i'd guess initially not so much permanent virgins as young women
                corresponding to young male initiation groups who would eventually
                settle down to have children) and warrior queens, a tradition perhaps
                surviving in African societies with mother queens who hold their own
                independent courts. a mother queen is an independent ruler, not such
                because she is the king's wife. she may be a sister, however.

                there are female burials in the steppes with weapons, and the bones of
                the Sarmatian females show their roles were not just ceremonial, and
                such burials of females with weapons are also found in northern Eurasia.
                in these societies unmarried women without brothers might assume what
                are now seen as male-typical roles if needed. but to say that they
                "assumed male roles" is not itself without patriarchal bias, typical in
                a society where such roles for women are seen as highly unusual or myth
                as fantasy. too much scholarship on this subject normalizes, instead of
                acknowledging diversity.

                it seems to me more likely the tendency in human culture has been for
                some time to evolve rather from tolerance of more complex diversity
                necessary to exploit different habitats surviving in harsh subsistence
                conditions to near-universal more prescribed mono-culture with
                superficial differences and classified deviants. orally transmitted
                native religions tend to be loose and not that resistant to better
                organized or aggressive belief systems. for instance, third sex, the
                male-female or female-male, was known among native Americans as well as
                among early Eurasians whose magic users often came from the ranks of
                those in some ways atypical, but was seen as demonic abomination by
                Europeans at least from the Middle Ages on, a view challenged by fairly
                recent movements, such as secular humanism. the values of dominant
                better organized belief systems tend to spread and replace indigenous ones.

                true, myth doesn't necessarily straightforwardly reflect society. often
                it may be fantasy with a deeper truth, or exhibit role-reversal or
                carnival very different from the real lives of ordinary women. true,
                there are deities who shift between being male or female or are
                androgynes or hermaphrodites. nevertheless, sometimes myth does give
                insight to society, especially how it is organized in that known social
                or natural models are used for cosmic ones. loosely organized oral
                societies are likely to have gods shifting around, instead of tightly
                organized in rigid hierarchies with well-defined roles and scripts
                tightly connected to only certain deities.

                also, notably in mythology across the world sex shifts linearly and
                irreversibly very much more often from earlier female to male, rather
                than the other way around. thus, among the earlier ndo-Europeans
                (perhaps from a time the Indo-Europeans became as strongly patriarchal
                as they did) early on there is a female sun among the Hittites. to this
                day among the Balts there is a sun - dawn/ mother - daughter dyad (the
                deities remain nature forces rather than evolve into strongly
                anthropomorphical gods - "Saule" means "sun," not "goddess of the sun
                named X; "Saules meita" means Sun Daughter or Sun as Daughter). the
                point is that early myth is less rigidly patriarchal and not just
                because of fantasy within a full-blown patriarchy.

                of course, one could argue the Baltic Saule illustrates male-typical and
                female-typical stereotypes.:) in contrast to the male sun god of the
                heroic and imperial age Greeks and Romans whose sun god eventually
                acquired strong imperial properties, Saule of the Baltic daina-songs is
                mostly a female-typical, gentle, healing and warming deity concerned
                with orphans and other disadvantaged members of society, rather than a
                state (as the Japanese sun goddess) or war goddess (the mythology
                doesn't really reflect permanent specialized warriors maintained by a
                court, but farmers as needed assuming such roles temporarily). among the
                Celts there also was a fire and water hot spring deity Sulis, Sol among
                the Germanic peoples, and Solntse among the Slavs, but they have receded
                from history before a dominant male archetypes and are minor deities.
                female suns have survived also among non-Indo-Europeans, among northern
                Eurasians, some native Americans, and aboriginal Australians.

                the point is as one becomes immersed in what is a vernacular, largely
                pre-Christian daina-world, one becomes impressed with the richness of
                the nuances. the female-typical emerges as simultaneously caring and
                strong, self-reliant and adaptive, finding humor and joy even in a harsh
                world because she must, not the least because she is or will likely be a
                mother, but also, significantly, even if Laima/ Fortune has not set out
                this as her path.

                this is the truth one gains by immersing oneself into ANY vernacular
                tradition, perhaps all the more interesting when it is not well known
                and therefore has more surprises, sometimes peaking to the point of awe
                as one fully grasps the alternative implications to common assumptions.
                such an immersion can be a rich experience, a different level than
                scholarly abstractions in major languages - i'd say closer to the ground
                of lived experience.

                aija