The 'God' Thing--OneCanOnlyOfferIntellectually; and RemainCareful... . :- ||

  • NEFILIM001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008
      ::existlist1@...:: speaks Beautiful, Objective, Classical sense... .

      "..Recently, I decided I would like to order several of the texts omitted
      from early
      Christianity, especially those covering the lives of Jesus, Peter, and Paul.
      Nothing like a bit
      of heresy to remind us that what a faith is today is unlikely what it was
      during its formative
      years... .

      ..But I read these texts not to believe them -- I read them to understand
      societies from a
      "social science" perspective... .

      ..I am not going to argue with a Christian, Muslim, or practicing anything
      else that there is
      not Creator as they understand such a being. Why bother with a debate I
      cannot win?... .

      ..In my teaching post, I must not (by rule of the university) offend anyone
      of faith (one faith
      in particular, it seems), by suggesting that science is "right" about such
      matters as
      evolution... ."

      "..In part, it is likely because the people of
      faith we encounter today are not Pascal or Kierkegaard, Buber or Tillich --
      they are
      Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, whatever-else, radicals that cling to
      ignorance and pull
      mankind backwards in one sense and forwards towards a cliff in another
      sense... ."

      Sincerely,
      Frank