Charlie Wilsons war

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2008
      This Tom Hanks movie tells a story that reveals from how thin a tract
      our modern situation springs. It is the uncivilized hoarde that we
      fight, the continuation of ignorance and violence that we have fought
      throughout the centuries.
      When the moderator speaks of his attempt to supress ignorance in the
      classroom he fights Charlie Wilsons war on a different battlefield.
      He knows better than to intellectually affront the bumbling ignorance
      of fundamentalism. I am sure he would like to waste his pugnatious
      coed but his system is more tactically aware of this situation. Guys
      like Chris are winning the war on ignorance within a nonviolent
      framework that is to be admired. Charlie Wilson did not enjoy such a
      stable platform from which to operate. He ran a secret war that
      changed history and ushered in the 21st century. He knew that
      single individuals can count in modern democracy. He also lived a
      good deal of his life on the outside of the rules. He liked to drink
      and whore and the boldness that kind of life produces left his
      enemies at a loss to identify or counter him. He has been named a
      fellow of the CIA and this movie opens a slight look at our covert
      operatives.
      Wilson claims that out failure to follow up the Soviet defeat in
      Afganistan created the power void that breeds such unrest in that
      turbulent area today. Wilson thinks wild people are governable and I
      suppose I agree if the necessary force is applied. Of course the
      necessary level of force often kills them. The CIA thought a war in
      which fundamentalists killed communists was about as good a war as
      could be engineered. We are moving it away from the oil fields and
      thus the international panic button is less likely to be pushed. The
      continuous flood of blood, assassination and mass murder grinds on
      but it is less violent than the Soviets in Afganistan. It is not easy
      to teach those dumb fuckers anything but the underlying desire for
      order and individual rights keeps the the effort alive, often
      through the most unlikely of vessles.I was fascinated by the candor
      displayed in the movie and think it rivals Wag the Dog in importance.
      In Hind sight it is an interesting film. Bill
    • mary.jo11
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2008
        Bill,

        Thank you for this substantive and careful presentation. I agree with
        much here and feel even more strongly the need for a comprehensive
        approach in that region. This seems a lighter theatrical approach than
        The Good Shepherd, a very sombering film.

        I'm reading Brokaw's BOOM!, The Wal-Mart Effect, and some Louise
        Erdrich novels, and the g-word hasn't been mentioned yet!

        Most of us will never approach the kind of world shaking individual
        accomplishment demonstrated in the story you've reviewed. I've
        dreadfully contributed to the population explosion, so my acts of
        contrition are to encourage all my "mistakes".