RE: [existlist] god exists  ////  :)

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
      eduard ---
      You may be right. When my Uncle Bert died ... peacefully fully
      clothed on his bed ... in is hand, he had a book marker with the 23rd psalm.
      Very strange as he was never very religious. Seems he must have got up in
      the middle of the night, dressed, got the book marker, and then laid back
      and died.

      I think I would call out for "Mommy", as I did when almost going
      over a cliff on my motorcycle.

      We are all different in our response to things. And it is probably
      similar for our last breaths.

      I wonder if my Uncle John, who died in the Battle of the Somme, had
      an opportunity to say or do anything. He is buried in a British military
      cemetery some 60km northeast of Paris. A nice little cemetery with perhaps
      300 or so graves.

      But then it really doesn't matter, since even at the end all we want
      is to keep our neurons happy.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
        The religionist's argument that somehow, deep down we all believe in
        God is quite fallacious and quite probably used by some to support
        their insecure faith. In the aforementioned Camus' The Stranger (aka
        The Outsider) the prosecuting magistrate used this very argument when
        he held out the crucifix to Meursault. I suspect that the coin lands
        the other side up in most cases. Most religious people, profoundly
        disbelieve in God.

        Alan.

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@...> wrote:

        > eduard ---
        > You may be right. When my Uncle Bert died ... peacefully fully
        > clothed on his bed ... in is hand, he had a book marker with the
        23rd psalm.
        > Very strange as he was never very religious. Seems he must have got
        up in
        > the middle of the night, dressed, got the book marker, and then laid
        back
        > and died.
        >
        > I think I would call out for "Mommy", as I did when almost going
        > over a cliff on my motorcycle.
        >
        > We are all different in our response to things. And it is probably
        > similar for our last breaths.
        >
        > I wonder if my Uncle John, who died in the Battle of the Somme, had
        > an opportunity to say or do anything. He is buried in a British
        military
        > cemetery some 60km northeast of Paris. A nice little cemetery with
        perhaps
        > 300 or so graves.
        >
        > But then it really doesn't matter, since even at the end all we want
        > is to keep our neurons happy.

        On Behalf
        > Of eupraxis@...
        > Sent: December-31-07 11:18 PM
        > To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [existlist] god exists //// :)
        >
        > Frank,
        >
        > The God and foxholes argument. I liken that to a confession wrought
        from
        > torture. It is what Catholicism calls "attrition" (as opposed to
        > contrition). It
        > won't do.
        >
        > Wil
        >
        > In a message dated 12/31/07 9:50:04 PM, NEFILIM001@... writes:
        >

        > > --Yes Wil and Warren; To be honest we do start with TheGod of
        Religion,
        > > because we have not ever yet dropped--TheGod of Religion, that can be
        > > worshipped.
        > >
        > > --I am willing to bet all of our *fortunes, (95% of us will utter a
        > serious
        > > FinalPrayer) to some God upon the event of our deaths. Oh we do love
        > filling
        > > our chests with hot air--even whispering: (remember,
        > > "NowILayMeDownToSle "NowILayMeDownToSle<wbr>ep...If I should
        die.."?) Our
        > > fire insurance principle
        > > an edge if we should pray on-that-last- an edge if we should pray
        on-that
        > > throwing off the burdensome mantle of Religious practices when I
        was about

        > > 22,
        > > (I attended bible camp and studied missionary bible practice from
        age 7 to
        > > 14)--I still fought to keep suppressed 'that-little- 14)--I still
        fought
        > > tough; or I am in a bit of trouble. Don't we all?!)
        > >
        > > Sincerely,
        > > Frank

        nothing!

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • eduard at home
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
          eduard ---
          I tend to agree. Except for perhaps 5% or even less, Maybe 1%, who
          would be candidates for a hair suit and locusts.

          For most people "God" and all the rest of it, is just an answer.
          Sort of like losing your car keys and asking "Where did I put those keys"
          and then a disembodied voice replies "they're in your pocket". Probably
          your wife upstairs [women know everything].

          Our brains are evolved for one primary function ... that is, to find
          patterns or rather to complete a pattern, which it may do on its own, if
          necessary. An answer is a sort of completed pattern. Order out of the
          chaos.

          So, in the end, it really doesn't matter what the answer is, as long
          as it works for you in this time. One can believe in a god, or be an
          atheist, or even an existentialist. It's all the same and sometimes an
          awareness of no answer is just as good as an answer.

          The religionist's argument that somehow, deep down we all believe in
          God is quite fallacious and quite probably used by some to support
          their insecure faith. In the aforementioned Camus' The Stranger (aka
          The Outsider) the prosecuting magistrate used this very argument when
          he held out the crucifix to Meursault. I suspect that the coin lands
          the other side up in most cases. Most religious people, profoundly
          disbelieve in God.

          Alan.

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@...> wrote:

          > eduard ---
          > You may be right. When my Uncle Bert died ... peacefully fully
          > clothed on his bed ... in is hand, he had a book marker with the
          23rd psalm.
          > Very strange as he was never very religious. Seems he must have got
          up in
          > the middle of the night, dressed, got the book marker, and then laid
          back
          > and died.
          >
          > I think I would call out for "Mommy", as I did when almost going
          > over a cliff on my motorcycle.
          >
          > We are all different in our response to things. And it is probably
          > similar for our last breaths.
          >
          > I wonder if my Uncle John, who died in the Battle of the Somme, had
          > an opportunity to say or do anything. He is buried in a British
          military
          > cemetery some 60km northeast of Paris. A nice little cemetery with
          perhaps
          > 300 or so graves.
          >
          > But then it really doesn't matter, since even at the end all we want
          > is to keep our neurons happy.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Alan James Lee
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
            You are remarkably astute. You have balanced my argument perfectly. I
            will observe your future posts and no doubt they will assist my
            understanding of this absurd life. The wife upstairs is
            particularly pertinent. Thank you.

          • eduard at home
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
              eduard ---
              It's Nooism. The new philosophy on the block. So far there are two
              Nooists in the world [including myself]. There is nowhere to go but up ...
              :-)

              The world isn't absurd. We only think it is.

              You are remarkably astute. You have balanced my argument perfectly. I
              will observe your future posts and no doubt they will assist my
              understanding of this absurd life. The wife upstairs is
              particularly pertinent. Thank you.

              Alan.

              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@...> wrote:

              > eduard ---
              > I tend to agree. Except for perhaps 5% or even less, Maybe 1%, who
              > would be candidates for a hair suit and locusts.
              >
              > For most people "God" and all the rest of it, is just an answer.
              > Sort of like losing your car keys and asking "Where did I put those
              keys"
              > and then a disembodied voice replies "they're in your pocket". Probably
              > your wife upstairs [women know everything].
              >
              > Our brains are evolved for one primary function ... that is, to find
              > patterns or rather to complete a pattern, which it may do on its own, if
              > necessary. An answer is a sort of completed pattern. Order out of the
              > chaos.
              >
              > So, in the end, it really doesn't matter what the answer is, as long
              > as it works for you in this time. One can believe in a god, or be an
              > atheist, or even an existentialist. It's all the same and sometimes an
              > awareness of no answer is just as good as an answer.

              Yahoo! Groups Links