Re: [existlist] god exists  ////  : )

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2007
      Frank,

      The God and foxholes argument. I liken that to a confession wrought from
      torture. It is what Catholicism calls "attrition" (as opposed to contrition). It
      won't do.

      Wil

      In a message dated 12/31/07 9:50:04 PM, NEFILIM001@... writes:

      > --Yes Wil and Warren; To be honest we do start with TheGod of Religion,
      > because we have not ever yet dropped--TheGod of Religion, that can be
      > worshipped.
      >
      > --I am willing to bet all of our *fortunes, (95% of us will utter a serious
      > FinalPrayer) to some God upon the event of our deaths. Oh we do love filling
      > our chests with hot air--even whispering: (remember,
      > "NowILayMeDownToSle "NowILayMeDownToSle<wbr>ep...If I should die.."?) Our
      > fire insurance principle
      > an edge if we should pray on-that-last- an edge if we should pray on-that
      > throwing off the burdensome mantle of Religious practices when I was about
      > 22,
      > (I attended bible camp and studied missionary bible practice from age 7 to
      > 14)--I still fought to keep suppressed 'that-little- 14)--I still fought to
      > tough; or I am in a bit of trouble. Don't we all?!)
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Frank

    • eduard at home
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
        eduard ---
        You may be right. When my Uncle Bert died ... peacefully fully
        clothed on his bed ... in is hand, he had a book marker with the 23rd psalm.
        Very strange as he was never very religious. Seems he must have got up in
        the middle of the night, dressed, got the book marker, and then laid back
        and died.

        I think I would call out for "Mommy", as I did when almost going
        over a cliff on my motorcycle.

        We are all different in our response to things. And it is probably
        similar for our last breaths.

        I wonder if my Uncle John, who died in the Battle of the Somme, had
        an opportunity to say or do anything. He is buried in a British military
        cemetery some 60km northeast of Paris. A nice little cemetery with perhaps
        300 or so graves.

        But then it really doesn't matter, since even at the end all we want
        is to keep our neurons happy.

        The God and foxholes argument. I liken that to a confession wrought from
        torture. It is what Catholicism calls "attrition" (as opposed to
        contrition). It
        won't do.

        Wil

        In a message dated 12/31/07 9:50:04 PM, NEFILIM001@... writes:

        > --Yes Wil and Warren; To be honest we do start with TheGod of Religion,
        > because we have not ever yet dropped--TheGod of Religion, that can be
        > worshipped.
        >
        > --I am willing to bet all of our *fortunes, (95% of us will utter a
        serious
        > FinalPrayer) to some God upon the event of our deaths. Oh we do love
        filling
        > our chests with hot air--even whispering: (remember,
        > "NowILayMeDownToSle "NowILayMeDownToSle<wbr>ep...If I should die.."?) Our
        > fire insurance principle
        > an edge if we should pray on-that-last- an edge if we should pray on-that
        > throwing off the burdensome mantle of Religious practices when I was about

        > 22,
        > (I attended bible camp and studied missionary bible practice from age 7 to
        > 14)--I still fought to keep suppressed 'that-little- 14)--I still fought
        > tough; or I am in a bit of trouble. Don't we all?!)
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Frank

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Alan James Lee
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
          The religionist's argument that somehow, deep down we all believe in
          God is quite fallacious and quite probably used by some to support
          their insecure faith. In the aforementioned Camus' The Stranger (aka
          The Outsider) the prosecuting magistrate used this very argument when
          he held out the crucifix to Meursault. I suspect that the coin lands
          the other side up in most cases. Most religious people, profoundly
          disbelieve in God.

          Alan.

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@...> wrote:

          > eduard ---
          > You may be right. When my Uncle Bert died ... peacefully fully
          > clothed on his bed ... in is hand, he had a book marker with the
          23rd psalm.
          > Very strange as he was never very religious. Seems he must have got
          up in
          > the middle of the night, dressed, got the book marker, and then laid
          back
          > and died.
          >
          > I think I would call out for "Mommy", as I did when almost going
          > over a cliff on my motorcycle.
          >
          > We are all different in our response to things. And it is probably
          > similar for our last breaths.
          >
          > I wonder if my Uncle John, who died in the Battle of the Somme, had
          > an opportunity to say or do anything. He is buried in a British
          military
          > cemetery some 60km northeast of Paris. A nice little cemetery with
          perhaps
          > 300 or so graves.
          >
          > But then it really doesn't matter, since even at the end all we want
          > is to keep our neurons happy.

          On Behalf
          > Of eupraxis@...
          > Sent: December-31-07 11:18 PM
          > To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [existlist] god exists //// :)
          >
          > Frank,
          >
          > The God and foxholes argument. I liken that to a confession wrought
          from
          > torture. It is what Catholicism calls "attrition" (as opposed to
          > contrition). It
          > won't do.
          >
          > Wil
          >
          > In a message dated 12/31/07 9:50:04 PM, NEFILIM001@... writes:
          >

          > > --Yes Wil and Warren; To be honest we do start with TheGod of
          Religion,
          > > because we have not ever yet dropped--TheGod of Religion, that can be
          > > worshipped.
          > >
          > > --I am willing to bet all of our *fortunes, (95% of us will utter a
          > serious
          > > FinalPrayer) to some God upon the event of our deaths. Oh we do love
          > filling
          > > our chests with hot air--even whispering: (remember,
          > > "NowILayMeDownToSle "NowILayMeDownToSle<wbr>ep...If I should
          die.."?) Our
          > > fire insurance principle
          > > an edge if we should pray on-that-last- an edge if we should pray
          on-that
          > > throwing off the burdensome mantle of Religious practices when I
          was about

          > > 22,
          > > (I attended bible camp and studied missionary bible practice from
          age 7 to
          > > 14)--I still fought to keep suppressed 'that-little- 14)--I still
          fought
          > > tough; or I am in a bit of trouble. Don't we all?!)
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > > Frank

          nothing!

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • eduard at home
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
            eduard ---
            I tend to agree. Except for perhaps 5% or even less, Maybe 1%, who
            would be candidates for a hair suit and locusts.

            For most people "God" and all the rest of it, is just an answer.
            Sort of like losing your car keys and asking "Where did I put those keys"
            and then a disembodied voice replies "they're in your pocket". Probably
            your wife upstairs [women know everything].

            Our brains are evolved for one primary function ... that is, to find
            patterns or rather to complete a pattern, which it may do on its own, if
            necessary. An answer is a sort of completed pattern. Order out of the
            chaos.

            So, in the end, it really doesn't matter what the answer is, as long
            as it works for you in this time. One can believe in a god, or be an
            atheist, or even an existentialist. It's all the same and sometimes an
            awareness of no answer is just as good as an answer.

            The religionist's argument that somehow, deep down we all believe in
            God is quite fallacious and quite probably used by some to support
            their insecure faith. In the aforementioned Camus' The Stranger (aka
            The Outsider) the prosecuting magistrate used this very argument when
            he held out the crucifix to Meursault. I suspect that the coin lands
            the other side up in most cases. Most religious people, profoundly
            disbelieve in God.

            Alan.

            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@...> wrote:

            > eduard ---
            > You may be right. When my Uncle Bert died ... peacefully fully
            > clothed on his bed ... in is hand, he had a book marker with the
            23rd psalm.
            > Very strange as he was never very religious. Seems he must have got
            up in
            > the middle of the night, dressed, got the book marker, and then laid
            back
            > and died.
            >
            > I think I would call out for "Mommy", as I did when almost going
            > over a cliff on my motorcycle.
            >
            > We are all different in our response to things. And it is probably
            > similar for our last breaths.
            >
            > I wonder if my Uncle John, who died in the Battle of the Somme, had
            > an opportunity to say or do anything. He is buried in a British
            military
            > cemetery some 60km northeast of Paris. A nice little cemetery with
            perhaps
            > 300 or so graves.
            >
            > But then it really doesn't matter, since even at the end all we want
            > is to keep our neurons happy.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Alan James Lee
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
              You are remarkably astute. You have balanced my argument perfectly. I
              will observe your future posts and no doubt they will assist my
              understanding of this absurd life. The wife upstairs is
              particularly pertinent. Thank you.

            • eduard at home
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
                eduard ---
                It's Nooism. The new philosophy on the block. So far there are two
                Nooists in the world [including myself]. There is nowhere to go but up ...
                :-)

                The world isn't absurd. We only think it is.

                You are remarkably astute. You have balanced my argument perfectly. I
                will observe your future posts and no doubt they will assist my
                understanding of this absurd life. The wife upstairs is
                particularly pertinent. Thank you.

                Alan.

                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@...> wrote:

                > eduard ---
                > I tend to agree. Except for perhaps 5% or even less, Maybe 1%, who
                > would be candidates for a hair suit and locusts.
                >
                > For most people "God" and all the rest of it, is just an answer.
                > Sort of like losing your car keys and asking "Where did I put those
                keys"
                > and then a disembodied voice replies "they're in your pocket". Probably
                > your wife upstairs [women know everything].
                >
                > Our brains are evolved for one primary function ... that is, to find
                > patterns or rather to complete a pattern, which it may do on its own, if
                > necessary. An answer is a sort of completed pattern. Order out of the
                > chaos.
                >
                > So, in the end, it really doesn't matter what the answer is, as long
                > as it works for you in this time. One can believe in a god, or be an
                > atheist, or even an existentialist. It's all the same and sometimes an
                > awareness of no answer is just as good as an answer.

                Yahoo! Groups Links