RE: [existlist] * Nooism - Existentialism //// what is it (really) about? :-0

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2007
      eduard ---
      All of use are guided by what I call "mental scripts". These are
      sequenced reactions that are adopted by the brain. We could not converse
      properly without mental scripts. It would take too long to build up every
      statement from scratch.

      It's like when we go into a restaurant and ask someone ... "may I
      have this chair". Meaning you would like to remove the chair from his table
      and add it to your own so as to accommodate one more of your friends. The
      statement "may I have this chair" is programmed in your brain as one
      complete package of speech ... a mental script.

      If you are the person from whose table the chair is asked, then you
      also have this script. It's interesting that a confusion arises when
      someone comes to your table and places his hand on the chair and then asks,
      "what is the price of fish in China?" Your expectation is that the former
      script will run, and you may not actually hear the latter.

      Anyway, what we get from our parents is a set of scripts that may or
      may not be useful in your adult life. For example, you may have acquired a
      racist script. The objective of maturing is to find out what scripts work
      for you and which do not. It's not an easy task. Once found, a bad script
      should be removed or countered in some fashion.