Manic compressive

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2007
      Our friends in psychology stand at the gate of normal mood swings and
      the manic depressive hinterland. How one environment affects mood has
      been extensivey studied. Much work has been done on cold And I spent
      some time with an antarctic Dr who was the world authority on a
      certain penguin species. He had had numerous sorties to the south pole.
      He said he would drift in time, losing track of date and hour. It seems
      travel itself disorts the appreciation of the passage of time. I think
      it is more than the varied discomforts listed clinically regarding jet
      lag.It seems to compress the event in relatio to the magnitude of the
      enviromental change. It is as if the last week has been multiply folded
      and put away in favor of a seemingly endess buzz of ice and cold. In a
      way I seem to have been set free into a void without perceptable
      terminus. Much as when I began to understand existentialism I was
      floating in time. The angst can be banished but my method is not
      yours.No good double blinds have been done and simple conjecture no
      better than a coin toss. The new island mask on the wall is the
      tangible I will turn to when I open the time pouch. But how this arctic
      persective has changed the rememberance I do no know. Bill
    • Albert
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 16, 2007
        Once while travelling back from a distant city where I had been offered and had just accepted a new position at a local firm, I commented to my girlfriend at the time that the road appeared to 'look' different. She strangely agreed, yet the road was no different from any other time we had travelled it. Perhaps change or the lack of is the real enemy of sanity.

        Albert.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2007
          When we study the environment, emotions, thought processes, and
          philosophies there is a tendency to separate these one from the other.
          This, in my humble opinion, is a weakness if not outright "failure". On
          the other hand combining and comparing also takes us nowhere. This is
          why I usually label myself a nihilist.