like a lover

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
      Mary, Actually I wrote that in a optomistic mood. Here in the deep
      Carribean my perspective is bent and twisted in new ways. We left the
      tourist trail and went to a city little affected by the cruise ships
      and tourists. I saw a stable city in an indepandant island. I have
      never been at such minority and after recovering from the cultural
      shock found we were not accepted nor rejected,we were ignored unless we
      expressed need. It was a nice suprise to be the only whites on the
      street and yet to be accepted as fellow consuumers. We paid the going
      rate and were treated as fellows. These people are most well adjusted
      better related to outsiders than I would be at home. One man told me
      how he abhors terrorism and said he alerts authority when it surfaces
      on the island.He feels it his duty. I can not say I can match that
      level of responsibility.In an ultra black culture I found color
      blindness. These people have it going on and I find renewed respect
      for my fellow inhabitants. If the politically besieged Iowans could
      see this we might actually caucus for the best candidate rather than
      dissect the race, religion or philosophy in an attempt to find ones
      personal image. There are still level headed people and it is an honor
      to be amoung them. Bill