Re: [existlist] Fwd: [occams_razors] Re: Ayn Rand

  • olsonflash1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2007
      Though far from an expert in Existentialist thought, I have had some reading
      in Sartre, Jaspers, and Frankel (I doubt he is an existentialist). I
      myself, am probably an Aristotelian. I am now working on an understanding of
      Kierkergaard. Your questions on existentialism are honest and it is important to
      have an open mind, especially when it concerns foundational/philosophical
      beliefs.

      Existentialism deals with reality, a reality that most men deny. What is
      Reality to an existential? The reality of Man. Sartre's statement says it
      all, "Man is condemned to be free". Some will say God determines fate,
      behavior is biologically driven, society or one's parent determine your
      behavior. To an existentialist, Men are responsibility but attempt to escape the
      overwhelming weight of responsibility.

      To find examples of man's denial of his freedom just read your local paper,
      watch the Media, or tune into OPRAH. Look closely at our culture and the
      language which takes these things for granted.

      I just read a story in the NY TIMES where adults are looking to her
      children's diagnosis of ADD and bi-polar to find reasons for their own behavior,
      past and present. How comforting it must be to be determined rather then
      determining.