Re: Less Kirkegaard=Less suffering

  • jimstuart51
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
      I'm not quite sure what Nietzsche has to offer genocide and
      holocausts. Is he offering comfort to the victims, or an anti-racist
      personal outlook, or a political alternative which may make genocides
      and holocausts less likely in the future?

      Jim

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

      > Ever ruminant and nonplussed, I'll take the unenviable position or
      > two. Kierkegaard has little or nothing to offer Islamic
      > existentialism. Genocide and holocausts even less. Nietzsche, Sartre
      > and perhaps Camus might still offer something. Strangely, Camus,
      > despite his penchant for absurdism, seemed to have the most sense
      > about the dangers of radicalism in his own country, Algeria. He would
      > have espoused neither as well. Wine and poetry in private may light
      > the way. In public, a secular approach to saving the planet and the
      > species, including 'chosen' ethnic groups with a will to survive,
      > should dominate the conversation. Mary

    • Alan James Lee
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
        I know my fate. One day there will be associated with my name the
        recollection of something frightful, of a crisis like no other on
        earth, of the profoundest collision of conscience.
        Friedrich Nietzche.

        Regards, Alan.

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

        > I'm not quite sure what Nietzsche has to offer genocide and
        > holocausts. Is he offering comfort to the victims, or an anti-racist
        > personal outlook, or a political alternative which may make genocides
        > and holocausts less likely in the future?
        >
        > Jim
        >

        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ever ruminant and nonplussed, I'll take the unenviable position or
        > > two. Kierkegaard has little or nothing to offer Islamic
        > > existentialism. Genocide and holocausts even less. Nietzsche, Sartre
        > > and perhaps Camus might still offer something. Strangely, Camus,
        > > despite his penchant for absurdism, seemed to have the most sense
        > > about the dangers of radicalism in his own country, Algeria. He would
        > > have espoused neither as well. Wine and poetry in private may light
        > > the way. In public, a secular approach to saving the planet and the
        > > species, including 'chosen' ethnic groups with a will to survive,
        > > should dominate the conversation. Mary

      • Exist List Moderator
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
          I was reading today about the film version of Golden Compass and the
          challenges the film faces -- because the film (like the books) is
          generally "anti-religion" and very focused on issues of choice and
          free will.

          Now, I happen to think Pullman's work is an interesting parallel to
          the "Christian" works of C. S. Lewis. You can claim to be anti-faith,
          but any book with souls as a primary plot point is more anti-organized
          religion than anti-faith.

          I do think it is interesting to compare stories over time. (Swift
          being a great political satirist, for example.) Maybe we are shifting
          towards a secular ideal, driven by the realization that organizations
          of any kind are corrupting, consuming the individual.

          We'll see if the $200 million spent on this film pays off or if it
          simply fades away. I love the fact someone was willing to invest in a
          philosophical tale, though.

          - CSW
        • Jason MOUNtford
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
            I look foward to seeing the Golden Compass. It is one of many movies used to steer the cattle into greener pastures. Influences of past have outlived there usefulness, some will fight the change, others will embrace it. Either way, change is here, and here to stay!

            Recent acts of protesting the movie because Pullman has been classified an Atheist are out of ignorance. I don't see it as a movie that promotes Athiesm at the least. Freewill and spirituality maybe, Atheism, noway.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
              [Jason]
              I look foward to seeing the Golden Compass. It is one of many movies
              used to steer the cattle into greener pastures.

              [Louise]
              Cattle are not the kind of animal susceptible to fits of anger.
              Human beings, on the contrary, who continue to burn up the planet
              with their anger, are the most usual species to be found at movie
              venues. The sensitive, however, may discern a reptilian presence.

              [Jason]
              Influences of past have outlived there usefulness, some will fight
              the change, others will embrace it. Either way, change is here, and
              here to stay!

              [Louise]
              I see no evidence at all that influences of the past are waning.
              Periodically in history a false religion may die, in order to allow
              faith to be renewed. This is not achieved within the aesthetic
              sphere, to which all forms of art belong.

              [Jason]
              Recent acts of protesting the movie because Pullman has been
              classified an Atheist are out of ignorance. I don't see it as a movie
              that promotes Athiesm at the least. Freewill and spirituality maybe,
              Atheism, noway.

              [Louise]
              Social change becomes possible when the problems of society are
              understood. And the necessary means to effect change are willed.