Re: Virulent religions

  • Alan James Lee
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2007
      Bill,
      I agree, I think we all live closer to theocracy than many imagine. I
      am not sure about other European countries, but conservative (small c)
      Britain tends to separate religion from politics. Only today however,
      I watched a discussion on BBC television about the British law on
      blasphemy. The law was supported by prominent M.P. Anne Widdecombe as
      well as other religionists. Abolition of the law was supported by
      Richard Dawkins and interestingly former Archbishop George Carey. I
      might have some respect for George Carey who I suspect has the
      intelligence to have "grown out" of religious beliefs but has been too
      involved with it to speak against it. There are probably many in the
      same boat.
      Religious people get dangerous when they get angry. If I remember
      correctly Bertrand Russell suggested that religious people are angry
      with atheists because deep down they are aware of how ludicrous their
      own beliefs are (I paraphrase). On one level they believe, on another
      they don't. Perhaps that is how Carey is too. But he doesn't get
      angry, he just accepts things the way they are.
      Prime minister Blair was overtly religious. Many in British politics
      keep there religion to themselves. At least in the U.S. you probably
      know what you're voting for.
      If the U.S. is moving toward more secular government, that's
      probably good for the whole world, the alternative could lead to
      armageddon.

      Peace, Alan.