Re: [existlist] Re: RIP, Norman Mailer, You Adorable American Idiot Existentialist

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2007
      On Nov 11, 2007, at 5:51, louise wrote:

      > Perhaps this passage, surely not the best way in which to exemplify
      > the writing of a man newly deceased, indicates nevertheless the
      > limitations of an American existentialism. The imagery, so crude and
      > ludicrous, appears to indicate a total lack of philosophical content.

      Mailer, Gore Vidal, and even Truman Capote were definitely leaders of
      an American "moment" in literature. Separate, though contemporary, I'd
      add Joseph Heller, Henry Miller, and Vonnegut to the list of major
      American figures.

      I wish Harper Lee had written much more.

      As for "real" American existential thought, I'd suggest African-
      American novelists. Toni Morrison, Langston Hughes, and definitely
      Richard Wright.

      Mailer was a character, much as Capote and Vidal. He traded more on
      his bitting wit than the quality of his prose -- though his ego was
      probably surpassed only by Capote's massive ego during his youth as a
      writer.

      I've never understood Barth, though he is "existential" according to
      most universities. I'd place him squarely in post-modernism, myself.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.