The long or the short version?

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2007
      A few days before Pakistan's Musharaf declared martial law and
      suspended the constitution, etc. I withdrew an essay I'd prepared for
      an internet publication which is aimed at a general audience. During
      the final rewrite and edits I began to feel inauthentic, since I am
      an atheist; suffered pangs of humility; and had to admit an appalling
      ignorance of Islam. A friend who helped proof the draft for me
      thought it was too condescending, indeed imperialistic, of me to
      suggest that Islamic existentialism should serve as transition to a
      secular society, which in my opinion is better.

      While Michael Kelly* satirically suggested air dropping Left Bank
      existentialists into Afghanistan to affect a quick victory for
      Coalition forces, others have commented how truly dangerous it would
      be in certain Muslim countries to claim existentialist viewpoints.

      While it was my intention to merge my renewed humanitarian impulse
      with the possibility of an Islamic existentialism, I never meant to
      offend anyone, but rather to simply suggest a way through a very dark
      and difficult time. The essay is lengthy, and I need to somehow
      reformat the italicized portions before I post it.

      Mary

      * http://www.michaelkelly.fsnet.co.uk/exis.htm

      ...Mary is back and can`t wait to hear the rest of the story. I hope
      she writes again...Bill