RE: [existlist] Human Relations

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2001
      james,

      It was only a manner of expression. And mostly with tongue placed firmly in
      cheek. But overall, I should think there is some validity in it. In the
      old days [if indeed there were "old" days], relationships were something
      that utilitarian, and you took it from there. I think that today, we tend
      to bring a lot to a relationship, and much of this is our expectations or
      perceptions of what love should or should no be. And in this manner, we are
      placing an inordinate burden upon the relationship. It is no wonder that
      almost half, if not more, marriages end in failure. I don't think that I am
      alone in realising often in modern relationships there is an aspect of
      imagining that if ones opposite is not exactly up to par, then there is the
      possibility of changing he or she. That rarely happens.

      I wonder if any man is authentic [I throw that out for comment and the
      person could as easily be a woman]. We enter a relationship by presenting
      ourselves as we think the other person would want to be. Perhaps it is to
      simplify things to the extreme, but from an man's point of view, I can be
      romantic, sensitive, etc., etc. during sex, but the thought that is buried
      deep in my mind, is steak and potatoes meal I am going to have once we are
      finished. But if I am honest and say so, then both the sex and the steak go
      out the window.

      That is not to say that men are two-faced about things. Just that we play
      the game as required. And that is human too. You may hate your boss and
      would rather put crazy glue on his chair, but all is sweetness because he is
      the guy/girl who has the ability to give you a raise. We all have our masks
      and that too is part of a relationship. Those men and women who are
      successful at a relationship, are able to keep the mask on, and to a degree
      make it a part of their lives.