Nooism 2

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 98 , Oct 27, 2007
      eduard ---
      I have to head out to Chicago this morning and won't be back for a
      week. So I will be going "no email" for my home computer.

      Perhaps I use business centre in the hotel to send emails. One of
      these days I need to set up my laptop for internet connection.

      Anyway, I will leave this for you to ponder.

      We are our brains. Because it has no direct access to the outside
      world, the brain has to "see" and "know" everything through interpretation
      of signals provided by it's sensors. Even the signals from our eyes have to
      be interpreted. That is not to suggest that the outside world is an
      illusion. It is very real. The table that you stub your toe on, in the
      night, is very much there. But we cannot "know" the table exactly.

      If we cannot know a table, then it is hardly likely that we could
      know God or whatever religious issues such as purpose, objective and
      whatever else that is abstract.

      The existential angst arises from this inability to "know", not from
      an inability to "do" in our limited life spans as suggested by others. We
      know neither our place nor or end.

      That is where Nooism comes into play. What is "knowable" is that
      which is successful for "us" individually and socially. The table is
      knowable because we sense the pain. Similarly God and religious questions
      are knowable because our interpretation of these abstracts is successful.
      Namely, that they provide us with comfort in the immediate. In this case,
      the "comfort" is more important that the "knowing" or the object of our
      knowing. Which means that a belief in God, Allah, Zeus or Santa Claus is
      sufficient. It makes our neurons happy and that is all that is asked. A
      happy neuron is one which can close the loop with some kind of answer ...
      any answer will do.

      Nooism posits that it is acceptable to resolve our existential angst
      by fantasy. The key point is to realise that it is fantasy and that we are
      doing this [believing] because it is satisfying. Of course, this applies
      primarily those abstract questions. If one believes that the table is
      merely a bit of a fog, then our interpretation is not successful when we
      bump into it. The thing is that one does not usually bump into God and
      therefore a fantasy in this respect can be successful for a much longer
      period of time.

      Chew on that for a while. I should be back at least by Friday 2
      November.
      Message 98 of 98 , Jun 10, 2009

        > "I am not an animal"
        >
        > So, you are a plant or a disembodied spirit?
        >

        > Wil

        Of course, if I am any kind of philosophical thinker, I am also an animal. L.