RE: [existlist] Re: Various thoughts on recent posts

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2007
      eduard ---
      "I think Camus in his novel "The Plague" understood it better. So
      what if the world is falling down around your ears, you get on with
      what you are supposed to do and that's it."

      jim ---
      Yes, that way of living seems fine as well. And if it is right to
      call the hero of "The Plague" an Epicurean, then Epicureanism as a
      way of living is fine in my book.

      But, to raise the same point as I did in reply to Bill, I wonder if
      the hero of the story was also choosing to carry on his daily tasks
      on the basis of some (chosen) ethical principles apart from purely
      hedonistic considerations. From memory, Camus didn't seem to write
      about the inner motivations of the hero of the novel.

      eduard ---
      It has been a while since I read the book and I think I did it in
      the French original.

      I seems to recall that Camus sums up the philosophy in the end
      pages. I really have to get the book again to copy it down permanently in
      my own records of quotes. Most of my read books get deposited in the return
      slot at the local library. They should have quite a collection by now.

      Anyway, there is also the manner in which the Doctor in the novel
      advises the young reporter or journalist. The reporter is also caught in
      the city when it is closed during the Plague, and like others is only
      thinking of escaping. The advise the Doctor gives him is to write about the
      Plague instead of worrying about getting back to his girlfriend who is in
      France [I think]. Although the Doctor doesn't say it directly the message
      appears to be that we all die at some time or other. Why not get on with
      doing what you can do well ... whilst still alive. Something like the
      Buddhist monk who savours the cherry from the bush he is hanging from.