RE: [existlist] Put that in Brackets Bitch!

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2007
      eduard ---
      My point is that although dead philosophers are of value, as far as
      their process of thinking is concerned, I do not believe that they can
      devise labels that are applicable to today's world. Discussion of
      philosophy often comes down to pitting one dead philosopher against another.

      In regard to Existential angst, my opinion is that we are
      progressively moving to the acceptance that meaninglessness is a reality.
      That is, no definable purpose for the individual. Neither is there a
      purpose for the society, other than to strive for survival. We are simply
      one part of a system that grows on it's own.

      WS ---

      I find the whole tradition to relevant, even back to the Greeks, regardless
      of how much a thought is "mine" or not.

      > eduard ---
      > Heidegger put out Being and Time in 1927. How does any of that have
      > a basis for "defines us as existentialists" a basis for "defines us
      > relevancy to the world in which we presently live?? I can understand using
      > old philosophers as a means of putting an authoritative tag on some
      > argument, but too often we use them as a substitute for our own thoughts.

      Yahoo! Groups Links