Re: Query about communication.

  • Jim Aiden
    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 2, 2001
      Deborah,

      My problem is not that I don't understand why people have this
      psychology towards 'thinking' about serious ideas, but how to assist
      them to feel comfortable when such topics come up. I get an
      overwhelming sense that people view philosophy as pompous or
      irrelevant to their lives.... when in fact it means everything to it.
      Most actions in modern Homo Sapiens are the children of their beliefs
      and upbringing, not so much inherited instinct. I'm talking from a
      pure quantity standpoint. Sure we eat, we fuck, we sleep, we shit. But
      we do it just a wee bit different than an orangutan.

      I think many also find Neitzsche, Socrates and the Marquis De Sade
      (and such) boring because most people remove the emotion from the
      ideas that were attached to these men's lives. They become things, not
      people. Like a 'musty 'ol book' book eh BookDoc? If it's not visually
      exciting or does not carry some sort of fix (the tingle of a joke say)
      then it's not worth anything to this throw away existence.

      I say no.

      What I'm searching for is a way to breathe the excitement I feel
      in my heart when I imagine the monumental ethical struggle Neitzsche
      experienced with his Christian upbringing. Could ideas echoing through
      his mind literally have driven him mad? Although I have not seen the
      recent films, I try to picture the raw excitement the Marquis must
      have felt in his 'unbound fury' of sexuality. I think of Socrates
      looking into a cup of hemlock before he calmly took it into his hands
      and died for an idea. Nor do my ideas of thinkers end with
      philosophers. Warner von Braun building model rockets, then building
      V2s for Nazi's, then Saturn V's to send men into space. Oppenheimer, a
      humanist, consumed with the guilt of being the father of the most
      devastating weapons humanity was ever created. These people lived.

      If someone finds watching Friends or Seinfeld is more exciting,
      well.... enjoy. I only know of one life, and choose to explore the
      ideas and emotions that are the foundation of my being. It's not like
      I really made the choice, I'm just possessed by it. Everything else
      seems devoid of passion.

      Not offended at all. I look at people caught up in their dreary
      little lives, struggling for their next hit of 'happiness' and all I
      can feel is not anger, but pity. I want them to feel the joy I feel
      every single day exploring the universe. I think the Buddhist's call
      it 'awakening', others might call it the numinous. Whatever you call
      it, I see more life, hope and colour in this little nonsense
      philosophy group, a noplace of wires carrying ones, zeros and ideas,

      then the thousand empty eyes I stare at everyday on the commute to
      work.

      J.Aiden

      -----------------------------

      http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
    • greg goodwin
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 6, 2001
        Deb,
        I don't believe I'd care to be with a woman that
        'would love to sleep with every man in town', even
        though she doesn't do so, wouldn't she still have her
        desires, her curiosities??
        --- Deborah Yates <druthyates@...> wrote:
        > Greg,
        >
        > I will be bold and answer that question honestly.
        > What's a boy to do
        > if commitment precedes sex. Find a woman who would
        > love to sleep with
        > every man in town, but won't because she's fiery and
        > passionate and in her
        > heart she is a one man woman.
        >
        > Then be her friend and wait until marriage and marry
        > her!
        >
        > But that's just what I would if I were you, I am
        > really stupid and naive
        > how would I know?
        >
        > DY

        Find a job, post your resume.