Fox News On Crack

  • Herman B. Triplegood
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2007
      I was watching Fox News and they were talking about an idea floating
      around out there about how to increase the efficiency of air traffic
      control by spending just a few million dollars on better radar and
      GPS systems on board the planes so that instead of a three mile
      separation we could fly planes with only a one mile separation.

      These guys must be on crack!

      Consider this.

      Two commercial airliners, each flying at a speed of 540 miles per
      hour, would, if they were flying right at each other, close the three
      mile distance between them in just ten seconds. If you close that
      separation distance to just one mile, that gives the pilots on board
      the two aircraft 3.3 seconds in which to recognize that a collision
      is imminent and avoid it as compared to the 10 seconds that they now
      have with the present separation of three miles.

      It simple physics and a bit of human physiology. It can take up to
      three, or even four seconds, for a pilot to even perceive and
      recognize that there is a problem and begin to react to it. The
      reaction would also take time, perhaps another two or three seconds.
      But it would already be too late by the time either pilot could even
      begin to react.

      Hb3g