A Yahoo Groups Mystery

  • jimstuart46
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
      All,

      Can anybody explain how a spam post has appeared on Existlist, coming
      from my identity (JimStuart46)?

      I certainly didn't send it.

      Has my account been hacked?

      Has my computer got a virus?

      Please be assured I have not and will not post any spam to this list.

      Jim
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
        I would guess you have a virus.

        WS

        In a message dated 9/30/07 5:54:31 AM, jjimstuart@... writes:

        > All,
        >
        > Can anybody explain how a spam post has appeared on Existlist, coming
        > from my identity (JimStuart46)
        >
        > I certainly didn't send it.
        >
        > Has my account been hacked?
        >
        > Has my computer got a virus?
        >
        > Please be assured I have not and will not post any spam to this list.
        >
        > Jim

      • jimstuart46
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
          Wil,

          Possibly, but I've got my Norton Anti-Virus software up-to-date, and
          I've just run a full System Scan on both my computers, and it only
          reported one low-level risk file.

          Jim

        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
            Well, the possibilities are most likely that 1) you have some kind of PC
            virus/worm, or 2) a rather bad case of somnambulism. Try another virus software?
            Or get a Mac, like I have.

            Wil

            In a message dated 9/30/07 8:20:04 AM, jjimstuart@... writes:

            > Wil,
            >
            > Possibly, but I've got my Norton Anti-Virus software up-to-date, and
            > I've just run a full System Scan on both my computers, and it only
            > reported one low-level risk file.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > --- In existlist@yahoogrouexistl, eupraxis@... wrote:
            > >
            > > I would guess you have a virus.
            > >
            > > WS

          • jimstuart46
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
              Thanks for the advice, Wil.

              I think MacAfee is supposed to be better than Norton for detecting
              viruses, and I was a bit suspicious yesterday when YahooGroups asked
              me to type my password in three times in a row.

              I've upped my security settings and changed my passwords, so
              hopefully there will be no repeat.

              Jim