Jaspers and Questions related to Existentialism

  • dasein512
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2007
      I am reading Jaspers's Philosophy - and I keep wondering is Jaspers an
      idealist? And hence is existentialism in the same family as idealism?
      Or is existentialism a form of realism? Or rationalism? or empiricism?

      Also can anyone please help me understand Jaspers terms Existenz,
      Encompassing and use of ciphers/transcendence?

      I appreciate the help...
      gerald
    • jimstuart46
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2007
        Gerald,

        I have not read any Jaspers so I'm afraid I cannot answer your
        questions about his terminology. Hopefully somebody else on the
        forum who has read Jaspers will respond to you on this.

        I have read some secondary material on Jaspers, and from what I can
        gather, for Jaspers the central core of existentialism is what is
        common between Kierkegaard and Nietzsche: that a philosophy must be
        lived, not just contemplated in a detached way, that passion,
        commitment, and involvement in life mark the noble character, and
        that the healthy human being should focus on his own inner
        development and not be concerned with the development of others or
        of society in general.

        As for you question about the nature of existentialism:

        "[I]s existentialism in the same family as idealism? Or is
        existentialism a form of realism? Or rationalism? or empiricism?"

        I think if you asked one hundred existentialists these questions,
        you would get one hundred different answers.

        My answer would be that none of these terms – idealism, realism,
        rationalism, empiricism – fits existentialism well. All these "isms"
        are metaphysical positions, and I read existentialism as being anti-
        metaphysical.

        Existentialsm is not a theoretical philosophy, but a call to action:
        Don't be passive, don't be a spectator of life; get involved, make
        commitments, and take full responsibility for everything you choose
        and for everything you do.

        Jim
      • alvir anthony subrado
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hello Gerald, how are you? Existentialism school of
          thought is actually a reaction from the contemporary
          Philosophy. Karl Jaspers is a Theist Existentialist.He
          termed Self as Existenz...His Philosophy is wholly
          focused on Selfhood..Part of his lecture was
          existential communication which tackles on ciphers,
          which mean signs and language...That man must come to
          himself in order to achieve genuine selfhood thus one
          achieves authentic existence. For him existential
          communication is only a pre-requisite or condition
          towards genuine selfhood.Transcendence and
          encompassing are coiled term for the state of
          communication to a supreme being. Since he is a
          Christian existentialist, Encompassing for him is
          God.And with man's existential communication, he is
          capable of transcending himself and communicate to
          someone beyond space and time...hehehe

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, alvir anthony subrado
            <alviranthony_subrado@...> wrote:

            > Hello Gerald, how are you? Existentialism school of
            > thought is actually a reaction from the contemporary
            > Philosophy. Karl Jaspers is a Theist Existentialist.He
            > termed Self as Existenz...His Philosophy is wholly
            > focused on Selfhood..Part of his lecture was
            > existential communication which tackles on ciphers,
            > which mean signs and language...That man must come to
            > himself in order to achieve genuine selfhood thus one
            > achieves authentic existence. For him existential
            > communication is only a pre-requisite or condition
            > towards genuine selfhood.Transcendence and
            > encompassing are coiled term for the state of
            > communication to a supreme being. Since he is a
            > Christian existentialist, Encompassing for him is
            > God.And with man's existential communication, he is
            > capable of transcending himself and communicate to
            > someone beyond space and time...hehehe
            High Tree, Please accept that6 Jaspers was a believer not an
            existentialist. If you have ever signed on secound party to a loan
            you get it. Y^ou take responsibility for your shit and that also of
            some other god dude. Other than that it is all cool , you don`t owe
            nobody nothin. Hope you get to America. Bill

            > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
            you all the tools to get online.