Ken Burns says

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2007
      I have intentionally tried to relate WW2 to this present experience.
      As before Burns racks the memory with the emotions of forgotten
      shocks. As I was flattned by the faces of civil war veterans, I am
      assailed by the visage of father, mother , uncle et all. It is much
      more than I can grasp and as the series provides,it all happens in
      more places than can be remembered. It will , however be recorded in
      the survivor counts. Body count reveals slowly as survivor numbers
      gain interest by the milesecound. Count your dead and you count
      yourself.We have bureaucracies for the light work and when they pick up
      a weapon a new apparency arrives. Bush was a frightful monstronsitity
      today. He did not speak of his septic sore, he shifted to the gumma of
      others. He is planning his dream wars of the future. Allied with
      Buddist monks he will proclaim his evangylism to the new faithful.
      Quite mad , reminiscent of Calligula. The product of Bill Donovans
      genius our democracy turns and devours itself on the promise of greater
      prey. Bill