Re: [existlist] Who`s talking up?

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2007
      On Sep 20, 2007, at 16:34, eupraxis@... wrote:

      > Yeah, there are white folks down here (in Louisiana) that have
      > once again shown themselves for the asses they are. I keep
      > forgetting that this ain't New York.

      Philosophically, I think free speech is free speech. Some idiot wants
      to put a noose from his truck bumper, like today, that's his choice
      to be an idiot. Put that on the news and remind people how bigotry is
      alive and well, but don't criminalize it.

      However, handing a noose (or several) from a public property (tree in
      a schoolyard) is just plain wrong, wrong, wrong. Incitement is the
      least these brats did.

      I was listening to a "right-wing" host today (Denny Schaffer in
      Atlanta) and he commented that the white students should have been
      punished immediately and harshly. His comment was that the moment
      this small town in Louisiana did little to show their concern for
      black students, the entire white leadership was guilty of incitement.
      It was refreshing to hear this host say that no respectable district
      attorney would have charged anyone except the school officials: "When
      black students need to ask permission to sit under a tree, it sounds
      like the white school principal is guilty of something. I don't know
      what, but something."

      Hearing radio from around the world (love the Internet), I realize
      that this small town represents the racism we still see in the U.S.,
      France, Germany, the U.K., and elsewhere. I read about a Belgium town
      where Francophiles are not "allowed" in certain places. Why? Because
      the more successful Flemish have placed little pictures of
      guillotines and the like to remind the French-speakers they are not
      at all welcomed in the North.

      Bigotry -- something we're all good at.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.