Re: Epicureanism

  • Jim Aiden
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 2, 2001
      <<I am beginning to not see existentialism as a "philosophy"
      as such.>>

      Ditto here Eduard. I find existentialism more like a few displayed
      signs on a road. It neither is the path, nor the destination, just
      some tips to help you get there.

      Oh.... were you refering to the idea of 'a priori' when mentioning
      deductive versus inductive reasoning?

      J.Aiden.

      --------------------------

      --- In existlist@y..., "Eduard Alf" <yeoman@v...> wrote:
      > Actually I am beginning to not see existentialism as a "philosophy"
      as such.
      > That is, as something which helps to define an end result. It seems
      that
      > existentialists are also something else; Marxist, Christian,
      protestant,
      > Jewish, whatever. Existentialism [as I read it] is more of a
      process
      > towards something else. It suggests that life is a series of
      choices,
      > creating stress; and that once one makes a decision, then he or she
      must
      > follow through. But the ability to make choices leaves open a vast
      range of
      > things upon which these choices are made. So although
      Existentialism
      > provides a process, it still leaves me unsatisfied as to what I
      might
      > consider to be a "philosophy".
      >
      > The recent post on Hedonism brought back to mind, the subject of
      > Epicureanism which I had dabbled in a while back. Epicureanism has
      as its
      > objective the pleasure that can be derived from life. Like the
      Roman
      > Emperor Diocletian retiring to Dalmatia to grow cabbages in his
      garden. It
      > seems to dove-tail nicely with Exististentialism in that it provides
      > something towards which to make decisions. If the world is absurd
      [I don't
      > necessarily believe this] then perhaps the criteria for our choices
      is to
      > seek simplicity.
      >
      > Thomas Jefferson was an Epicurean .. for whatever that is worth.
      >
      > eduard

    • Bill Harris
      Message 75 of 75 , Nov 6, 2001
        Eduard, Should Garcin be concerned that history labels him as a coward---No.
        If the context of the play is to be accepted he is already dead and
        therefore has no consciousness or concern. If I were dead I would not be
        concerned and I, again have no idea if Sartre was trying to say something
        about afterlife or guilt therein. As to your comment about exist as a
        tool, I would say it is a tool that few have used and like a level may be
        necessary to complete a modern philosophy. {Mixing a few metaphores ] I
        think it gives us license to think as individuals. Today that is not seen as
        such a necessary relief from prohibition but we have all exercised the
        freedom and to my knowledge only bookdoc has been burned at the stake.
        Where is he anyway? Bill