Re: The jackals of the 21st century

  • Jim Aiden
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 2, 2001
      Interesting that you suggest I'm a hedonist Ryan. Never thought of
      myself as one but if one defines hedonism they way you mention, I
      suppose I am. I'd like to add though that as a humanist,
      existentialialist and hedonist (and an assortment of other
      stereotypes) I factor long term happiness as well, not just the short
      term.

      Great idea you have only problem is it could easily be turned into
      a 'thought police' if the wrong individuals started making decisions
      (I often feel this way about our media right now). Not to mention, I'm
      not sure who the 'right' individuals to govern such an institution
      would be. I sure wouldn't be the one.

      J.Aiden

      ---------------------------------------
      --- In existlist@y..., "Ryan Dewald" <rdewald@c...> wrote:
      > The object of a cadre of deprogrammers would be to clean up some of
      the
      > misconceptions and blind alleys of thought in the world. Truth (if
      you
      > believe in such a thing, I don't want ot make any suppositions)
      would be
      > easier to grasp at after some of the myriad illusions perpetuated
      through
      > ulterior motives were exposed as such, but deprogramming is a
      clearing-out,
      > not a building-up process. It is harder to see the mechanisms of
      the world
      > as they are if you are attributing them to hallucinations.
      >
      > At least one person on this list is a hedonist, Jim, is that you?
      The
      > Hedonsists will argue that if believing that your shoe is your
      saviour
      > happens to float your boat, then go for it as long as it doesn't
      ruin
      > someone else's day.
      >
      > I have two thoughts on that: 1. These illusive beliefs, while maybe
      > comforting in the short-run can lead to much suffering if the
      illusion
      > cannot be kept up over time. Thus you gain some happiness in the
      short-term
      > for despair and forced retooling in the long-run. A poor accounting
      for
      > maximizing pleasure over time.
      >
      > 2. In an effort to maintain and enforce illusions, people have done
      the
      > most horrid things to eachother. By Reducing of the number and
      voracity of
      > these illusions will reduce the frequency of militant behavior in
      the name
      > of... whatever.
      >
      > Ryan

    • Bill Harris
      Message 75 of 75 , Nov 6, 2001
        Eduard, Should Garcin be concerned that history labels him as a coward---No.
        If the context of the play is to be accepted he is already dead and
        therefore has no consciousness or concern. If I were dead I would not be
        concerned and I, again have no idea if Sartre was trying to say something
        about afterlife or guilt therein. As to your comment about exist as a
        tool, I would say it is a tool that few have used and like a level may be
        necessary to complete a modern philosophy. {Mixing a few metaphores ] I
        think it gives us license to think as individuals. Today that is not seen as
        such a necessary relief from prohibition but we have all exercised the
        freedom and to my knowledge only bookdoc has been burned at the stake.
        Where is he anyway? Bill