Re: The jackals of the 21st century

  • Jim Aiden
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 2, 2001
      Like your definition much better Eduard.

      J.Aiden

      --- In existlist@y..., "Eduard Alf" <yeoman@v...> wrote:
      > Jim,
      >
      > philosophy is the study of phenomena and in the Greek era the
      conclusion as
      > to what is seen, was obtained through logic rather than
      experimentation.
      > Thus "philosophy" as such could extend into any area, including what
      we term
      > to be the sciences of today. Dictionary.com provides:
      >
      > When applied to any particular department of knowledge, philosophy
      denotes
      > the general laws or principles under which all the subordinate
      phenomena or
      > facts relating to that subject are comprehended. Thus philosophy,
      when
      > applied to God and the divine government, is called theology; when
      applied
      > to material objects, it is called physics; when it treats of man, it
      is
      > called anthropology and psychology, with which are connected logic
      and
      > ethics; when it treats of the necessary conceptions and relations by
      which
      > philosophy is possible, it is called metaphysics.
      >
      > I can see this even in relation to engineering, since I consider it
      to be
      > more in the line of an "art".
      >
      > eduard

    • Bill Harris
      Message 75 of 75 , Nov 6, 2001
        Eduard, Should Garcin be concerned that history labels him as a coward---No.
        If the context of the play is to be accepted he is already dead and
        therefore has no consciousness or concern. If I were dead I would not be
        concerned and I, again have no idea if Sartre was trying to say something
        about afterlife or guilt therein. As to your comment about exist as a
        tool, I would say it is a tool that few have used and like a level may be
        necessary to complete a modern philosophy. {Mixing a few metaphores ] I
        think it gives us license to think as individuals. Today that is not seen as
        such a necessary relief from prohibition but we have all exercised the
        freedom and to my knowledge only bookdoc has been burned at the stake.
        Where is he anyway? Bill